Chapter 16 *First Signs*

"Hey Chief?" Gabby asked as she sat on her cot, Chief Boden walking up to her. "Are you okay?" he asked, holding his radio in his hand, crossing his arms. "Just feeling a bit nauseous that's all," Gabby replied rubbing her head and placing her face into her hands. "Do you want to go home early?" "No I'm good thanks Chief," she replied back.
"Truck 81, Ambo 61, man trapped in lawnmower, 484 Ridge Way," the dispatcher said.
Gabby jumped out of bed and quickly walked to the truck, sliding on her gear. "You okay?" Matt asked noticing she looked a little flushed. "Yeah just feeling a bit nauseous don't worry about it," she assured him, climbing aboard, Herrmann going in after her. On the way to the fire Matt talked to the crew. "Ok listen up! We'll be getting a new recruit to take Otis' place. She comes from Firehouse 87 and she has been transferring house to house. Firehouse 51 may be her permanent home," Matt said looking back at Gabby who smiled at him.
"Another female on truck?!" Herrmann asked sounding shocked. "So much estrogen!" he exclaimed making Mouch laugh.
"Hey, how do you think I feel working around all this testosterone?" Gabby asked making Matt laugh. "She's got a point Herrmann" Matt said turning back around looking at Cruz. "You good?" he asked him, Cruz looking at him. "Yeah I'm good. Glad to be back," Cruz replied blowing the horn as they rolled through a red light. They pulled up to the scene and right away they saw blood shatter, a woman waving them down.
"Help my sons trapped," she yelled, leading them to where they found a man, the bottom half of his body trapped underneath the mower. "Alright Mouch, grab us alligents and axes, also grab the toolbox. Cruz, I want you to go grab Brett and Mills and tell them to bring the gurney straight away. One wrong move, this guy can bleed out to death," Matt ordered as he leaned over the man. "Hey I'm Matt, what's your name?" "J...jack," the man replied, screaming out in pain. "Alright Jack, we're going to take apart this mower piece by piece. Make sure you don't move. We don't want the blades to dig deeper into your body," Matt said looking back to Gabby who quickly backed away. "Dawson get over here! I need your help!" Matt yelled out to her, Gabby shaking her head. She ran to the other side of the truck and when no one was looking, she ran across the street and threw up into a sewer.