Chapter 16 *First Signs*

"Anyone have eyes on Dawson?!" Matt yelled as Mouch handed him the toolbox, Matt pulling out a wrench. "I'll go look for her," Herrmann said running back to the truck, looking inside it. "Gabby?!" he called out, frantically looking around, spotting her across the street, sitting on the curb looking pale.
He grabbed a water bottle and jogged across the street, sitting beside her. "What are you doing kid?" he asked, handing her the water bottle. Gabby took it from his hands and took a sip and shrugged. "I don't know. I'll go help out," she replied to him standing up. "Is there any possibility you could be pregnant?" he asked, Gabby laughing. "Please Herrmann, I think I'd know if I was," she replied patting his shoulder, starting to walk away, Herrmann stopping her. "You know I'm here for you right kid? If you ever need to talk to someone, you've always got me" "Thanks Herrmann," she said giving him a weak smile, walking back to the scene. Herrmann still sat on the curb and looked down. On the sewer bars was throw up, and he shook his head and laugh. "Happens to the best of us," he said to himself as he stood up and jogged back across the road.
"Alright he's free!" Matt exclaimed as Mouch helped him lift the last mower piece off of Jack, making Jack sigh loudly in relief. "Brett, Mills, he's all yours," Matt said as they wheeled the gurney over. "Alright on three. One, two, three, lift," Matt said as he helped them gently lift the guy off the ground, placing him onto the gurney, wheeling him away fast. Gabby walked over to the tools spread out all on the yard and she started to pick them up. Matt walked over to her and crossed his arms. "Are you okay? Where were you?!" Matt asked, bending down, helping her pick up the tools. "I'm fine, don't worry about it," she said as she threw the tools in the toolbox, standing up, carrying it back to the truck.

"Lieutenant, have you talked to Gabby?" Herrmann asked as they walked into the firehouse, Gabby walking the other way. Matt looked after her and shook his head. "I tried, but she won't tell me what's up" "Lieutenant when I was done talking to her, I looked at the bars of the sewer where she was sitting... I think she got sick," Herrmann said patting Matts  shoulder, walking into the kitchen pouring coffee. Matt walked in the direction where Gabby had went and he saw her in his office sitting on his cot, holding her phone in her hand.
He looked around and closed the door and locked it, sitting in his chair. "What are you doing?" he asked her. Gabby looked at her calendar confused and kept scrolling up.
"What's wrong?" Matt asked, noticing Gabby's face looked concerned. Gabby looked at him and her mouth was slightly open. "I'm a week late" "A week late for...Oh," Matt said realizing what Gabby was talking about. "I'm scared," she said hugging her knees looking down. "We don't want to jump to any conclusions. Maybe you should take a test," Matt said rattling his pen making Gabby agitated. "Matt is any part of you even concerned?! I mean, there's no way I can be pregnant, not now," she said slightly raising her voice.
Matt looked at her and sighed. "Of course I'm nervous, but like I said. There's no way to even tell until you take a test," Matt replied standing up and walking over to Gabby, giving her a hug, kissing her head. "You know I'll always be there for you no matter what right?" Matt asked her, hugging her tighter. Gabby nodded her head. "I know," she whispered.