Chapter Nine *Things Get Better*

"What do you mean you screwed up?" Gabby asked as they walked into their bedroom. "Let's just not talk..." Matt said kissing Gabby, the kiss growing deeper. Matt kicked the door closed and they laid together, not getting out of bed until morning.

"Goodmorning," Matt said as he kissed Gabby. She smiled at him and patted his bare shoulder. "Goodmorning," she replied yawning, making Matt smile. "How're you feeling?" he asked sitting up and getting out of bed, sliding on his jersey shorts and throwing on a white t-shirt. Gabby shrugged and held the blanket close to her chest. "I'm feeling just so horrible," she laughed, joking around with Matt.
"You're cute when your sarcastic," Matt said sitting on the bed staring into Gabby's eyes. "Shut up," she said joking around, kissing him. "I'm off work today... What do you want to do?" Matt asked. Gabby then slid out of bed and quickly put on a baggy CFD sweatshirt and slid on some sweatpants. "Want to go for a jog?" she asked jogging in place. Matt laughed and still sat on the bed and watched her. Gabby gave him a stern look. "Oh you were serious!?" Matt exclaimed as Gabby grabbed his hand as they walked out of her apartment.
Matt started to jog as Gabby fast walked down the streets of Chicago. "Matt.. Do you want to tell me what happened yesterday?" Gabby asked as she slowed down, trying to catch her breath. Matt turned around and jogged backwards. "Nah, not really. Don't want to think about it" "Matt," Gabby said raising her voice, stopping dead in her tracks. Matt looked at her and his eyes got big. "What?" Matt asked looking at her. Gabby sat down on a bench and Matt did the same. "You have to tell me when something's bothering you. You can't keep secrets. If this relationship between us is going to work, we have to communicate. That's what destroyed it last time"
Matt looked at her and shook his head. "I know that Gabby, but what I did was something I wouldn't have done. It's hard to talk about" "Matt... You can tell me anything" Matt took a deep breath and looked into Gabby's eyes. "I let a man die" Gabby's eyes got wide and her mouth slightly dropped open. "You did what?" "I let a man die. Kelly and I, we went to a structure fire yesterday and a woman told us that her daughter and the boyfriend were in the basement. When we went down the steps, I found the daughter dead. It looked like a strike to the head," Matt replied.
Gabby grabbed Matts hand and held it. "Matt, that's not your fault" "Yes it is. When I traveled down the stairs, separating from Kelly, the boyfriend attacked me and I fell into a dark hole. Kelly came and got me out, but the man came at us again and Kelly knocked him out with an alligent. The point is, I told Kelly to leave him there. I let him die," Matt said, staring out into space.