Chapter Four *Heated Up*

Matt watched as Cruz left his office and he sighed. He was becoming very stressed, and it wasn't doing any good for his head injury. He already
hated the fact that he had to hide his relationship with Gabby, and now this Sylvie being pregnant thing gets thrown in his face. It was too much for him to juggle. He laid down in his cot and looked at the ceiling, trying to count the lines when Gabby knocked on the door. She opened it and closed it before she looked at Matt with big eyes. "Matt, I swear Cruz is getting on my nerves. He won't quit asking questions!" she exclaimed locking his door and drawing the blinds. Matt sat up and motioned her to come lay next to him. "That makes the two of us," he replied as Gabby laid next to him and she smiled. "Matt..." she said holding his hand and intertwining fingers, Matt kissing her on the forehead. "Hmm?" he asked snuggling her close, not wanting to let go. "If I'm just getting in the way, maybe we should just..." "Gabby, you're not getting in the way. You're the best thing that's ever happened to me," Matt replied kissing Gabby, slowly and passionately. They stayed that way for a half an hour when the intercom went off. "Ambulance 61, fallen minor, 3475 Roosevelt" Gabby jumped up when she heard this and when she realized she was no longer on Ambo, she laughed. Matt chuckled as she laid back down next to him, wrapping his arms around her waist. "Do you miss being on Ambo?" he asked her. Gabby nodded her head and shrugged. "I guess, it's just a force of habit. I had gotten so used to the Ambo calls that I still have trouble remembering that I'm on truck!" she laughed, Matt snuggling her closer.

Sylvie opened the back doors to the Ambo and pulled out the stretcher. Her partner Mills stood at the door of the home knocking. When no one answered, he backed up and noticed the garage was open, so he quickly ran into the garage and tried the door to enter into the house. Luckily it was open but when Mills took a whiff of the air, his whole body dropped down, knocking him out cold. When Sylvie saw this she definitely knew it was hydrogen monoxide, and she quickly called in the Poison Unit and Squad.
When Squad pulled up, Kelly quickly jumped out of the truck and walked over to Sylvie. "What's going on?" he asked sliding on his gas mask, looking at Sylvie the whole time. She stared over towards the house and replied back, "It's hydrogen monoxide. Mills got a whiff of the air and he fell by the garage door!" Kelly darted over into the garage, dragging out Mills body as Capp and Rice went inside the house and pulled out a child and mother. They laid the three of them on the grass and Sylvie listened for lung sounds. She found a pulse on Mills, and she found one on the mother, but when she checked the child's, Sylvie looked down and shook her head. "D.O.A," she said taking off her gloves, tossing them into the grass. Right away other ambulances pulled up to the scene, and Sylvie watched as Mills was placed onto a back board, and was placed into an ambulance that quickly rushed away to Chicago Med. The little boy's body was placed into a body bag and the morgue truck came by to pick it up. Sylvie watched as the bag was placed into a cold transportation freezer and she looked away as a tear trickled down her face. Kelly walked up from behind her and placed a hand on her shoulder and sighed. "Sylvie, you did the best you could... Don't beat yourself up" Sylvie looked back at Kelly, tears in her eyes. "I know, but I could've done more," she replied before walking away and hopping into the Ambo, driving away back to the firehouse.