6. Something to Lose

Warning:  mention of child abuse.

Year: 2018

Y/N opened her eyes to a room full of talismans. Her body was sore, and when she tried to move, she noticed that her hands and feet were chained to the ground.

The walls of the room were made of stone, and candles enlightened the room.

She sighed and folded her knees into her abdomen, placing her head on her knees. She tried to rub her neck with her chained hand.

"Sorry, the rooms are prepared for our special guests like yourself. We know it's against human rights, but I don't think human rights apply to you, do they?"

Y/N raised her head when she heard the sarcastic tone. A woman with brown hair, a white robe, and tired eyes had sat behind bars looking at her.

"Don't bother yourself; I have slept in the worse places than here. I don't mind. I'm just sad that I woke up. Maybe I'm dead, and hell looks like this?" Y/N looked around the room.

"Do I look like Azrael?" The woman in the white robe raised her eyebrows.

"No, not at all. You look more like a doctor than an angel of doom, Shoko Ieiri." Y/N smiled.

"I see, you know us all ..."

"Yeah. If I wanted to survive, I had no choice but to memorize the long list of people who might capture or kill me."

Shoko looked at Y/N with a tired smile on her lips. "Clever choice!" Then she picked up another glass, poured a drink into it, and handed it to Y/N.

"I hope you are not in alcohol rehab."

Y/N smiled again and reached out to take the glass.

Unwantedly, both sets of fingers touched each other, and suddenly Y/N felt sadness in her heart.