32. Late

Warnings: Mentions of blood.

Year: 2019

The large trees on both sides of the road were dancing in the wind when a white-haired man stepped on the yellow leaves that fell to the ground. The sun gleamed on his face through the last remaining leaves on the branches, but the man didn't seem to care. His footsteps were swift, like people who know where they're going.

He was in his school uniform, but contrary to custom, it was unzipped, and his white t-shirt was on display. The wounds on the right side of his neck and his weary hands looked painful, and evoked the thought that how could they have remained hidden from his reverse cursed technique? Where was Infinity when he got hurt? Maybe this was part of the punishment he had prepared for himself. Perhaps the pain in his bones made him a little closer to her. Nobody could tell how the gears of a repenting man's mind rotated. But it was clear that his shoulders weren't as straight and proud as usual, and his back was folded beneath the burden of guilt, as if something in him was broken.

Oblivious to his surroundings, he passed through the wooden gate of the school, turned to the left before he could be seen, and made his way to the dormitories. Even the babbling of the river on the side of the road did not suffice to draw him out of his thoughts. His hands were fisted, and he had no idea what he was going to say or how to justify his foolish absence, but indeed, he had to see her.

Without her, he had that strange sensation of not being himself. It was hard to put it into words, but he guessed it was like he was sleeping, and someone came, disassembled him, and hurriedly put him back together again. Nothing was in its place, all because he missed her. He missed her to the point that his head ached and feared his bones would shatter under the weight of the emptiness in her place in his heart.

He missed her for so long, in too many ways, that it became just another part of him, etched deeper into his being with the passing time. He feared that waking up, stretching, breathing, and not seeing her would become part of his daily routine. No, he had to break this vicious cycle. He couldn't bear another day of his heart bleeding her name, whether 3 am or 3 pm.

His footsteps sprang with his heartbeat as the destination drew nearer. He stood outside her door, took a deep breath, raised his hand, and knocked a few times. There was no answer. His six eyes told him that no one was in the room, but when it came to her, he never trusted his eyes. After all, she was a master at concealing her cursed energy.

A couple more knocks and still no response.

He looked at the handle that had meant nothing to him until a while ago. But now, it was a piece of things that belonged to her, and he was debating whether he could touch it or not. Yeah, the same stupid knob he turned so many times without realizing it, was so foreign to him now.