34. Lullaby

Warnings: Blood, blood, and blood.

Year: 2019

Here's a true story from the author. Eagles have the most extended lifespan and can live up to 70 years. But to get to this age, the eagle must make a tough decision. In its 40th year, its long and flexible talons can no longer grab prey, which serves as food, its long and sharp beak becomes bent, and its old-aged, and heavy wings, due to their thick feathers, stick to its chest and make it challenging to fly.

As a result, the eagle has only two options left at the end of this change process: to die or endure a painful process. The process requires that the eagle fly to a mountaintop and sit on its nest. The eagle knocks its beak against a rock until it plucks it out. Then the eagle waits for a brand-new beak to grow back.

It will pull out its talons, and the eagle starts plucking its aged feathers when the new talons grow back. After five months, the eagle takes its famous flight of rebirth and lives for 30 more years.

The so-called opportunity was not given to Y/N that rainy evening. Fate only granted her five days. Five fucking days and she woke up covered with sweat, feeling pain all the way to the bone marrow, but she didn't open her eyes. She begged it to be just another one of her nightmares, but deep down, she knew it was real.

An unsettling truth buzzed in the room as if it was always with her, but she couldn't see it. But now it seemed more obvious, nocturnal, and intense than she could ignore anymore.

The heaviness of her chest made her breathe hard, and the burning cold she felt didn't make it any easier. Something was taken away from her, something she longed for, something she was looking for, and it hurt. It hurt so much. It would have hurt less if she had pulled her heart out of her chest and squeezed it in her hand.

Her hand slowly shifted under the blanket, and that's when she realized there were needles attached to her hand. Now the sound of the beep penetrating her brain made more sense. Apparently, she was in a hospital-like room, but she still didn't dare open her eyes to confront reality. She was alive, contrary to her expectations, making the reality more bitter than it ought to be.