35. Dream

Warnings: Angsty fluff

Year: 2019

It was nothing but a dream.

But,

her lungs didn't expand. Her breaths kept coming in short bursts. A tight feeling spread through her chest, and she could feel her throat closing. She tried to scream, but she couldn't. She couldn't stop thrashing her arms and trying desperately to breathe, but the effort was futile. Her voice was unheard by anyone. Nobody would ever know she was dying, that her chest was filled with blood and pain, and she was in such an unbearable state of agony.

She couldn't breathe, she couldn't, she couldn't breathe—

In a flash, Y/N's eyes opened in terror, and she awoke. She was heaving in deep, harsh, gasping breaths, so overcome, so relieved to get oxygen into her lungs that she couldn't speak, couldn't do anything but try to inhale as much as possible. All her body was shaking, and her tremors were clammy, going from hot to cold too fast.

Gasping for breath was all she could do.

Her body was drenched in a cold sweat, her brain swimming in waves of pain. Despite her best efforts, she could not shake the nightmare. They were at a wedding; there was blood everywhere; she cried; more blood; her baby died in front of her eyes; she kissed the bloody face of her brothers and then blood again.

'It was just a dream. It was just a dream. It was just a dream.' The thought kept running through her head.

She shook her head to blot out her thoughts but immediately noticed her mistake. Her mind was still dense and foggy, bathed in confusion. She blinked open her eyes slowly, timidly, but no matter how far she forced them to open, she couldn't seem to take in any light. In silence, she stared up at the blank ceiling. It took her too long to figure out she had woken up in the middle of the night.