36. Run

Warning: Nothing but angst.

Year: 2019

An hourglass.

She was an hourglass. Years had collapsed and buried her from the inside out. Her legs felt full of sand and stapled together, her mind brimming with grains of indecision, undone choices, and impatient as time passed from her body. The clock's little hand struck her with one, two, three, and four. Whispering hello, get up, stand up, it's time to wake up, wake up...

"Wake up! Wake up, Y/N!"

A sharp intake of breath and her eyes flew open, her skin breaking into a sudden, cold sweat, somehow staring into the brown eyes that seemed to know too much, too well. He was leaning over her, his worried eyes inspecting her, his hand caught in the air as if he was about to shake her shoulder, but he had hesitated.

"What are you doing?" She didn't recognize her own raucous, panicked voice, as if she hadn't spoken for days.

"You were screaming in your sleep." He jerked back but was still staring, unblinking, chest rising and falling.

"Who are you?"

Slowly, her hand sought a sharp edge beneath her pillow, but there was no knife. What? She dripped panic everywhere. Her hand clenched, and her eyes quickly looked for a way out. Apart from these light and clear eyes, blonde hair, with a strange, friendly smile, the room seemed familiar.

"Who am i?" said the man. "I'm a friend."

She glanced at him and tried to sit up, but suddenly the world vanished in and out of her focus, shades of grey glistening like frames on stilts, erratic movements.

"Don't rush. You're a bit late, but we have some time left." He talked like he knew her, like they were close once. It felt insane.

"Do I know you?"