Chapter-12

(They finish their dinner, and the servants bring the ice cream and other sweet dishes

(They finish their dinner, and the servants bring the ice cream and other sweet dishes. Manik sighs as he knows this drama will never end, and he wants to talk to Riya alone to tell her about his views towards their marriage.)

(He looks at her and instantaneously gets worried as he finds her looking at Ashwin and Anita with teary eyes as her parents are reviewing the deal. She then looks at Cabir and Mukti, who are busy with their own talks, and takes a sad sigh. Manik looks on, puzzled at her behaviour but stops himself from asking her anything, as they are still not much comfortable with each other. He then thinks about something and speaks up.)

Manik- I want to talk to Riya. Alone.

(Everyone stops whatever they are doing, and Riya looks at him, confused.)

Anita- Yes, sure, Manik. Go Riya. Listen to what he wants to say.

(Riya looks from Anita to Manik and passes him a small smile. They both get up, and he takes her out to the garden.)

(There's a cozy night breeze, and the surroundings are calm

(There's a cozy night breeze, and the surroundings are calm. The fragrance of fresh flowers makes the air even fresher. Manik and Riya come out and occupy the bench near the tree. Manik sighs and leans back while Riya looks at him, confused.)

Manik- So you are seriously ready for this marriage?

Riya- Of course. I want to give it a chance.

Manik- What if I tell you that living with a person like me is not an uncomplicated task? What if I tell you I hate the word love, but from the day I heard about you, I want to give this contract marriage thing a chance?

(She looks at him for a few moments before speaking up.)

Riya- What if I tell you I want to go on with this contract marriage thing because this is the last hope I have in me for love? Will you say yes to this marriage then?

(Manik sighs and palms his face.)

Manik- Look, I don't know how to explain this to you, but I know that all this marriage drama is happening inside because of that shitty contract. And you know this too. But neither I am a part of all this deal thing now, nor will I ever be in the future. My family has already tainted my name in front of everyone, portraying me as a rapacious monster. But all that matters to me is trust in a relationship. If you say yes to this marriage and you are seriously going to give it a chance, I want both of us to work on it and make it run well. I want to give it a new start. I cannot share everything with you right now, but I hope we trust each other enough to share our past miseries with each other in the future.