Chapter 8 Natalie

The coffee shop is full of people when I arrive I sent a quick text to Nate letting him know I am here and busy. I rush into clock and to start helping around. My boss does a quick thank you and I nod. Taking everyones order and serving them their food my boss says its time for my break. I look around the shop seeing its now almost empty. I sit down in the corner resting my now achy feet. I take my phone checking it.

Nate- I hope your not working too hard, but I been thinking about what you said, and I feel like it could work. I talked to my mom about it, and I see where you are coming from baby. I just worry that you will leave me for good.

Me- I wont leave you unless you give me the reason. I am now on break finally its been a crazy day. I only have an hour left before I get off. Make sure you wear something descent.

With that I go back to work until its finally time to get off. When I clock out my phone starts to buzz.

Hello?

Natalie you all are still coming correct? My mother asks

Yeah mom I just got off Im going home to take a shower and then we will be there. See you soon.

I hang up and drive to Nates apartment. Or is it still our apartment? I dont know, but its weird saying just his apartment. As I pull up Nate greets me at the front door. I get out walking up to him as he takes my bag we go to the elevator because just at this point my feet hurt to bad to walk up the steps. Soon enough with small talk we make it to our apartment door and walk in. I instantly kick off my shoes going to the bedroom to grab my blue jeans thats not to tight but hugs me and a nice black shirt. Nate comes in and looks at me.

Baby sit down and rest for a few minutes, you mom will be okay if we be a few minutes late.

I sign sitting down propping my legs up on the bed. Nate comes over taking my legs into his lap massaging them. I lay my head down closing my eyes.

Natalie come on baby come take a shower so we can go to your moms. Nate says gently shaking me awake

I rise up checking the time and its half past six. I groan as I hurry to get my things to run into the shower. It has to be quick. As I quickly turn the water on and step it I instantly relax. I wash my hair and body then out I go. As I dry off I put my clothes on brushing my hair deciding to leave it down and put on eyeshadow and eyeliner with mascara. Thats it. I am not getting fancy for my mom. Not tonight. Im tired as I can be. When I come out of the bathroom Nate eyes went wide but he quickly recovered. I instantly blushed at his affection. I walk up to him and smile as he smiled back we heard a camera sound. We look over at his mom who is smiling ear to ear from taking her secret photo.

Nate rolls his eyes as we all leave the apartment. I grew nervous as we got closer and closer to my moms new home. She moved closer to be here with me and her new boyfriend. He is sweet and nice. My mom needed someone and hopefully he will make her into a nice version. We are pulling up to my moms into the drive parking and turning the car off. Nate looks at me rubbing my hand.

Ready for this? We say together

We laugh agreeing walking in with is mother right behind us.

Mom! Were here. I announce

Make yourself comfortable food is almost done. She says coming from Im guessing the kitchen.

Yeah I never been to my moms new home. Sad? Yes, but hopefully its changing. Nates mom introduces herself to my mom and they instantly kick it off as she goes helps my mom. I look around the house see the living room is medium size with a fireplace. I go upstairs seeing a door that has my name on it. I open the door to see a queen grey like bedframe with a closet. The bedframe has the lights connected to it. All my things from the old house is in here. I look at the pictures and see she actually has some of Nate and I together in here. I smile at the thought of hers. The picture is from the first time she came over to the apartment trying to have a family lunch with us and she took the photo. Nate and I was happy as we could be. It was before the heartbreak that was caused. As I look around I see baby pictures along the wall. I walk out going back down the steps to my mom announcing the food is ready. Nate and I make our way to the dining table sitting down.

I look at the food my mom cooked and grew so hungry. The food looks really good mom.

She said thanks and we fixed our plates. Its silent and awkward. I look at Nate who looks at me and shrugs. He feels the way I do. I do a quick glimpse at my mom who is taking a sip of her wine.

Nates mom starts small talk with my mother which I am thankful for. I wouldnt know what to say. I havent sat down at table with my mom since middle school.

Nate. My mother says

I look up at her and then him waiting for everything to blow up. I have that feeling and Im scared about it.

Yes? Nate says

How is school going for you?

Its going great. Thank you.

Can I ask you a question Nathan?

From my moms tone I could tell this wasnt going to be good.

Of course. Nate says nicely as possible

Who was that girl I seen you with earlier today?

My heart dropped. A girl? Is my mother mistaking? I look to Nate seeing that his smile has dropped. NO. This cant be happening. Keep calm Natalie keep calm let him explain.

She use to be a friend that still had some personal items of mine and I didnt trust her to give it to just anyone, so my mom and I drove out and I met up to get my things. My mom was just a few inches away so that nothing bad could be said about me cheating on Natalie. Nate says matter of fact

His mom nods the whole time confirming the truth. I let out my breath that I didnt realize I was holding.

Okay good because I dont want my daughter hurt.

Nate squeezes his hand on his leg, and I knew he was holding back from being a smart ass. He just nods while mumbling I wont hurt her.

It then went quiet. My mom is now on her fifth cup of wine, and I could see she was getting tipsy which is never good.

Mom we are going to leave now. Im tired and have a double shift tomorrow. Thank you for dinner.

Wait honey I didnt show you the best part. Earlier as I said about Nate meeting up with someone I know that his mom was there but once she went to the restroom Nate and that girl kissed. I took a picture to confirm it.

My mom shows us the picture and I felt sick.

I told my mom goodnight walking out the door. Nate right behind me as his mom stayed to thank my mom again.

Natalie? Please listen.

I get into the car in the back seat. I dont want to listen I dont want to hear any of it. Im tired and I think I may say something wrong and not meaning it. His mom gets into the car and looks at me then her son. I tone them out. I cant listen to it. It may seem wrong of me to not hear his side but as of right now I just need to shut my mind off. I need to sleep. No sooner we are back at the apartment, and they get out. I just sit there analyzing the next few moments. Because I know once we get into the apartment into the bedroom I have no other choice but to listen.

UGH! Why did this have to happen. I knew I was dumb for forgiving him so quickly, but damn I didnt think he would mess up this fast. I slowly get out of the car walking inside going slowly up the steps. When I finally make it to the apartment I walk in slowly. Taking my shoes off telling his mom goodnight and going into the room. Nate is sitting there running his hand through his hair.

Natalie I know you dont want to listen, but please do. I was going to tell you what happened soon you came home, but you was so tired and fell asleep as I was rubbing your legs and feet that I didnt want to bother you with this bullshit. Yes I met up with Shay she knew my mom was there. But what your mother failed to say was as you could clearly see in the picture is that she had her hands wrapped around my head forcing the kiss. You know how I feel about even pushing a female. I know I should have in this moment, but I didnt want to feel guilty. I dont want you to hate me, but I understand if you do and want to leave now.

As I think through and the picture replays in my mind I do recall seeing her hand on his head. I sign. Im just physically and emotionally tired. All I can manage to say is Tomorrow. But tomorrow will be even worse because I work all day until closing. Tomorrow is going to be dreadful.