Chapter XXXVII: Balance

I had decided to leave Jeremy and my mates for a bit. Let them explain everything that had happened in the last few months. I knew Klaus would be mad once he found out how damaged I was when I came to him. The fact that I didn't tell him- He had to be angry at me.

I was currently standing on the other side. Looking up to the moon shining over me. Howls could be heard in the distance. I could feel the magic soaking into my skin. Like when someone stands in the sun and feels the vitamins soaking into their skin. This was the same as that for me.

"Hilda?" I snapped my eyes open to see a woman standing there in front of me. A gasp leaving my lips as I lunge towards her, hugging her tightly.

"Mom.." I cried in shock. Pushing my face into her red hair as I try to make sure she was real.

"Hilda.." She started, pulling me back from her. "Why are you here?? You shouldn't be here." She told me looking around. "You're alone?" She questioned. I furrowed my brows together confused.

"Should someone be with me?" I asked her. She met my eyes.

"No. Of course not." I pulled away from her.

"What aren't you telling me?" I asked her. "Why do you still look so young? Where is Father and Ricki?" I asked, looking around. No one was near us, at least that I could see.

"You don't know?" She asked, confused. Her brown eyes looked worried. "No- That's not right." She said looking away from me and running her hands through her hair.

" She said looking away from me and running her hands through her hair

"Mom." She looked back at me. "What don't I know?" I questioned her, using my stern voice. She sighed.

"Your brother and father are still alive." She told me. My eyes widening, confusion, shock. Now I was running my hand through my hair, stress at this new information.

"Wh-what do you mean?? I-" I paused, shaking my head. "I have seen books. Ricki had kids- He-" Now that I thought about it, I didn't see how he had died in any of the books. The only person who had said that he was dead was Lacy. "Oh god- I'm so stupid!" I exclaimed.

"Don't speak that way. I thought you would have found your brother by now.." Mother told me. I shook my head.

"I was told that he was dead by this girl, a distant niece."

"Lacy?" Mother asked. I nodded. "Such a troubled girl. She's around here somewhere." My eyes widened surprised. "Hilda, you need to get back to the real world, find your brother." I shook my head.

"Mom, I can't. I'm dead." I told her. "My elf is gone as well as the vampire part of me.." My mother gave me a incredulous look.

"Your elf isn't dead, dear. Have I taught you nothing??" I gave her a strange look. She sighed, grabbing my arms. "Elves are so much stronger than you think. We survive. We bring balance. You have so much more living to do. You need to find your brother. He will help you." I stared at her confused.

"How am I supposed to find him? How is he alive?? He was only a warlock.. or was he? What about Dad? How is he alive and you're not?! Why aren't you telling me!??!" I shouted in her face. My eyes flashing at her threatening. I was angry. I would never hurt her, not that I could, but I wouldn't.

"There was an accident..When you died..Your father lost control. He didn't mean to.." She spoke so softly. "Your father is trapped though. When he- When he lost control, Daliha put a curse on him. Your father is trapped as a wolf. Has been for so many years now. Your brother does have elf in him. Thats how he is alive and will be for so very long, just as you will be." She told me, placing her hand on my cheek softly. "Now go. Look for your brother. Together, you will save your father. Remember.. keep the balance. I love you, Hilda.. You have grown to be such an amazing woman.." She whispered, before she placed her hand and shoved me so hard it felt almost like I was shoved out of the reality.

Landing on my butt hard, I looked up to say something about shoving me, but she was gone

"Astin?"