Chapter 22- Tough Luck

~💚~

We were in the Rust Bucket, waiting for Ben to get back. I was reading Midnight Sun while Gwen was on her laptop. "Lucky Girl... I wish you were more than just another Halloween costume," Gwen said as she held her mask. "I'd be happy to teach you my magic, Gwen. But unfortunately, it's only within the family. I'll ask my mom and aunt when Ben and I get married, if I can teach you," I said.

~💚~

She smiled and nodded. Then the door opened and Ben walked in. "Sometimes this hero stuff gets way old," Ben said. "I offered to help, but you said no," I said. "You should be proud of yourself, Ben. Those folks would've been in a real pickle without you," Max said. "I know. But I'd just like one regular summer day... where Paige and I could just hang out all day long and do nothing. You know, like Gwen."

~💚~

I could tell that hit a nerve with Gwen. "You and Paige should appreciate what you have. Paige, I'm not blaming you for this. I only got to be Lucky Girl for a few hours," Gwen said. "Really? Was that it? 'Cause with all the bragging you did, it felt like weeks," Ben said to his cousin. "The worst part of all was when all those grannies wanted me to go with them... to some lame old magic convention in Las Vegas. As if! The only magic that I love is Paige's," Ben said.

~💚~

"Magic convention?" Gwen said, her eyes lit up. We arrived in Las Vegas at the convention. I saw a bunch of stands but for the most part, it wasn't real magic. "If these people want real magic... I'll show them some real magic!" I thought, determined. I also felt sick to my stomach here. This isn't real magic at all. It really offends me as a sorceress. "Magician of the Year Expo? It's all cheap junk and gross out tricks. I thought it was going to be magic-magic, like Paige's. Not cheesy magic," Gwen said.

~💚~

"It's places like this, that offend my family and my ability as a sorceress," I said. I could feel my blood boiling and my magic pulsing underneath my skin. Ben grabbed my hand, gave me a warm smile and kissed my forehead. It helped me so much knowing that Ben was by my side, no matter what. "Check it out! Fake bugs in ice cubes, fake barf, fake dog poo!" I saw that Ben was looking in a box labeled Magic Bin.

~💚~

"Ben! I thought you were on my side!" I said angrily slapping his shoulder. "I need to get out of here before I explode," I thought. "Hey Max, I'm going to go back to the Rust Bucket. I'm not feeling good. I think I need to lay down." "You sure you don't want me to come with you, princess?" Ben asked. I shook my head, "No. I wouldn't want to keep you from your fun." I spat out the word fun.

~💚~

"I can't believe him! Ben says he's on my side but the next minute, he's joking about fake magic! What is wrong with him?!" I thought as I laid down. Then I heard the door open. It was Ben, I could tell. "Princess, I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to upset you, please forgive me," He said. I smiled and kissed him. "I can't stay mad at Ben for long," I thought. Then we heard screaming

~💚~

We went outside to see what was going on. "Help! Somebody help me!" We heard a man scream. He was in a straight jacket and tied to a helicopter. "I don't think that's part of the act," Max said. "Me neither, Max." Max and Gwen looked at Ben and I. "I know, I know, hero time. Come on, princess," Ben said as he pulled me away. "Everything's under control... or not!" He said, as a blade from the helicopter fell off.