Chapter 36- The Unnaturals

We were now at a carnival in Philadelphia. I was with Ben and watching as he played a game. "Bottom of the ninth, two out, full count. Tennyson winds up, and..." Then he threw the baseball ball but he lost. "No way! This game has got to be rigged. I totally nailed Ben Franklin." He said, frustrated. "Knock over the Ben Franklins, you win a prize. Knock over squat, you win squat,' The man running the stand said.

~💚~

"You'd think that in the city of brotherly love, they wouldn't cheat at the carnival games; princess," Ben said. "I know that it's frustrating, Benji," I said, reassuringly. "That's the way life is, Ben. You win some. You lose some. Now, come on. You can't visit Philadelphia without seeing the Library Bell," Max said. "If I just went hero, I'd win every one of those stupid games," He said.

~💚~

"Sure. Use the most powerful device in the universe to cheat at whac-a-mole. Real nice. Besides, don't you already have the greatest prize in the world?" Gwen asked. "What would that be?" Ben asked, sarcastically. "Paige, for crying out loud!" She said. Then Max handed Gwen and I some cotton candy, while Ben went elsewhere.

~💚~

~💚~

"Not good!" I heard him yell and I knew that he was in trouble. "Hold on Benji! I'm coming!" I thought, desperately. Finally, I reached him and pushed him out of harm's way. "They're getting away with the Liberty Bell," Max said. "Not if XLR8 has anything to say about it," He said. I shielded Ben from prying eyes as he activated the Omnitrix.

~💚~

"Evidently, he doesn't," I said as I saw that Ben wasn't XLR8 but Grey Matter. "Oh, man! Give me a lift. Please, princess," He said. I grabbed the hammer and smacked down on the platform to launch Ben. "Nice music pocket. How'd you get it?" Gwen asked. "Let's just say a little friend... helped me make a lucky guess," Ben replied. "I can't believe it! He used Grey Matter? My Benji cheated!" I thought, disappointed and ashamed.

~💚~

"You used Grey Matter? That's cheating!" Gwen said. "I didn't see any 'No aliens allowed' signs," He said. I shook my head, "He still doesn't get it!" I inwardly screamed. "Hey, Ben, check it out. Your hometown baseball team, the Cannons, are in the finals of the Little League World Series," Max said. "No way. I was supposed to be on that team," He said. "Yeah, if only you could hit or throw or run..." Gwen was cut off by Ben.

~💚~

"Think we could go, Grandpa?" "...or catch, or slide. Stop me if I'm leaving anything out," She said. "Williamsport, PA. The birthplace of Little League Baseball, that honored institution where dreams of greatness are first forged in young minds, along with the life lessons of fair play." "Hear that, Ben? Fair play," Gwen said. This time I wasn't going to argue with her because she was right.

~💚~

"You're just jealous because I won't let you listen to it. That's all. Hey, princess. I'm making us a playlist," He said. "That's really sweet, Ben," I said. "What's with all the security?" Gwen asked. "The President is a big baseball fan. He likes to make an appearance to cheer the kids on." "There's the Cannons. I'm going to go say hi. Come on, princess," He said.