Chapter 11: Going on a Job

Lucy held my hand all the way back to Magnolia on the train. I gave Natsu more tea from Leafeon, and we all chatted silently with Eevee playing with Happy on the floor. I had totally forgotten about him until he put his body on my head in happiness that I was completely allowed to live in this world.

"You've been smiling ever since we left," Lucy said beside me.

"Well, it's not like you guys haven't stopped either!" I giggled.

"Yeah, you're right," she smiled back. "I'm so glad that you can stay!"

"Me too," I said. "And so are all of my best friends! Right, Eevee?" She cried out in joy, and Wendy giggled.

"Can I hold her?" She asked.

"Sure," I answered. Eevee leaped up into Wendy's lap. She gave her a sweet smile, and Wendy stroked her fluffy fur in happiness.

"She's so soft..." Wendy said. "It's like she gets groomed every day."

"She does," I told her. "Along with the other ones too. Every morning I brush their fur until there are no tangles. It's time consuming, but worth it."

"Can I help next time?" She asked with a hopeful expression.

"Of course you can! I could use all the help I could get to make it faster." I grinned at her.

"Elena," I looked at the pink-haired guy who called to me. He blinked with a grin on his face. "I think you're going to be amazing in Fairy Tail. There's no way anything could make you give up your friends, right?"

"Is that a trick question?" I said with sarcasm.

"Uh...no." He tilted his head in confusion. "I asked you, didn't I?"

"Oh, shut up, Natsu." Lucy scolded. "Your such a little kid!" Lucy turned her attention back to me after Natsu slumped in his chair. "He's right, though. Being in a guild means protecting each other. But I'm sure that you would do what's best for your friends, right?"

"Yes." I gave her a serious expression. "You have my word, I am a member of Fairy Tail, which means that I will protect my guild at all costs."

Natsu chuckled. "I like the way you think!" He said. "You're going to be great on our team!"

"Oh, yeah!" I remembered. "What exactly do you guys do on a team?"

"Well, for one thing, we go on jobs together." Wendy explained. "We should go on one when we get back!"

"Totally!" Lucy agreed. "And we can show the bad guys just how powerful you are! You'll send them running in fear!"

Natsu laughed. "I can't wait to see that!"

~~

"We're home!" Natsu yelled into the guild hall.

"Welcome back, you guys!" Mira greeted us while holding a tray up with her hand. "I assume everything went well?"

"You bet it did!" Lucy said. "She can stay here for as long as she wants!"

The guild cheered, and I laughed in happiness. "I've never had anyone cheer for me like that in a long time!" The last time I was cheered for like that was when I first became champion. I couldn't tell them that I was one back in Kalos; I was worried that they would tell me to go back to do my job. I couldn't go back to that giant dark room...

"You deserve it!" Natsu put his arm around my shoulders again, petting Eevee's head. "You're now officially a member of Fairy Tail for good!"

"Yeah..." I smiled, blushing. Natsu was getting so close to me... Was he always this forward with everyone?