Chapter 27: Sabertooth

I couldn't speak or breath for another minute. He...he really was starting to like me? That's when I moved my eyes downward along with my head.

No.

I couldn't have him fall for me. For more reasons than one. As much as this was a dream come true for me, I really didn't belong in this world. Plus...he already had someone. Lucy.

I looked back up to smile at him. "I get that a lot, too." I said.

"Huh?" He blinked in confusion.

"I feel really funny a lot, too. And the way you touch me makes me feel that way. It's normal with friends. It just means that they care about each other a lot."

"Really? Huh." He put a hand behind his head. "I guess that makes sense." He grinned at me widely. "Thanks for explaining it to me." I nodded, and he turned back around towards Happy and Lucy. "Hey, Luce! I changed my mind!"

I felt tears in my eyes as my chest ached with pain. I could have chosen to tell the truth about his feelings, but of course, I didn't. I put a fist on my chest, shaking. My heart felt like it was ripped to shreds for what I just did.

But then I looked up again, and saw Natsu and Lucy eating together with Happy. I watched them for what seemed like an hour, and my heart gradually became whole again. I smiled. Even though I may not have been with him, I knew that he would have been just as happy with Lucy, maybe even happier. When I told myself that, the pain was still there, but nowhere near as strong as before. As long as I didn't lose him as a best friend, that was good enough for me.

I walked over to them after a few minutes. "Everything good here?" I asked.

"Yep!" Natsu grinned widely.

"What about you?" Lucy asked in concern.

"I'm fine." I gave her a sweet smile. "I'll tell you about it later."

She smiled then. "Sure. Grab yours and let's eat together!"

I sat with them as we ate and chat, hearing the stories of what they did while I was gone. Nothing major happened, but they did go on a bunch of jobs together. I was smiling and laughing the whole time, and I truly felt like I was back home again. "Sounds like you guys did have a lot of fun."

"Yeah, but it would have been even better with you. We even had a few clients ask us about you and your friends." Natsu had already eaten his five sandwiches and was stretching his arms up above his head.

I chuckled. "It's funny how gossip spreads quickly about someone."

Lucy sneered. "Yeah, and it's not in the good way most of the time."

"Is that because of the time you lost all but your underwear in the guild hall that one time from a spell gone wrong?" I laughed when Lucy went beat red. "I knew it!"

"Shut up!" She yelled and smacked my arm. "That's uncalled for!"

"Come on, it's not like it wasn't the first time it's happened!" The way Natsu said it made me laugh even harder.

"Yeah, Lucy just looooves to be sexy!" Happy had his paws over his mouth as he floated next to Natsu.

"Shut it, cat!!" Lucy had her fists balled in anger.

"Okay, okay." I held my hands up. "Let's not get too heated in this."

"Having fun?" Gray walked up with Juvia tailing closely behind.

I smiled. "Yeah, we are." I stood up. "But it's time to get going now."

"You're right." Lucy stood up. "We need to make sure those Pokémon are safe."