Chapter 13: Ice vs. Fire

Gray was itching for our fight together after seeing what Umbreon could do. I was excited to beat another Fairy Tail member, that was for sure. And with Gray having ice powers, this would be another breeze to win.

"Lucy, why are you the one buying me more clothes?" I asked when we came to the checkstand. "I have money now, you know!"

"Yeah, but I want to make sure you have an outfit for every one of your team!" She said while putting her jewel back into her wallet. "And don't worry, it all only cost 30,000 jewel."

"Only?!" I argued. "That's almost thirty percent of what we earned last week!"

"Oh, you worry too much. You gotta look your best when fighting Gray!"

"That's what you said with Natsu!"

"Yeah, so?"

"Ugh! You are so stubborn!"

"Hey, I'm just trying to make you one of the best in Fairy Tail! Everyone is talking about your fighting skills, and they even believe you could become an S-class mage!" Her eyes were shining, but I was definitely not convinced.

"How many times do I have to say it? I'm not a mage, I'm a trainer! They're completely different from each other!"

"They aren't and you know it!" She pointed her finger at me as she scolded. "And don't even think about yourself not being qualified because it's not true! Even Eevee thinks so, right?" She looked at my silver best friend on my shoulder, and she nodded in agreement. "See? Even your friends think so!"

"All right!" I didn't want to discuss it any longer. "Let's just get me my outfit on and get to the fight. We only have an hour left until we need to be there."

She scrunched her nose in frustration. "Fine. But we're not done with this conversation!" I felt Eevee sweat drop in annoyance, and I sighed in it as well. Even though Lucy meant very well, sometimes she would go off the hook a bit. And I thought Natsu was annoying at times.

We got back to Lucy's house just in time for me to change and put my hair up, and I was dazzled with what we got me. Since I was going to be fighting Gray with Flareon, my outfit was a soft red half-jacket that was short sleeved with an orange tank top that only went down to the belly again, and my emblem was showing with a brown shine to it. My orange shorts and red sandals added to the effect, and I topped it off with a red ponytail holder for my hair. I smiled when I saw how cute I looked.

"Okay, admit it. I'm a genius!" Lucy clapped her hands in excitement.

"I wouldn't go that far," I countered, sticking my tongue out at her. "But I love how cute I look."

"That was the whole point of it!" She crossed her arms.

"I know." I shrugged it off, Eevee hopping onto my shoulder again. "Ready, Eevee?" She smiled and let out a cry. "Let's go melt some ice and drink it!"

"Uh, you could have left out that last part." Lucy said with a sweat-drop. "Let's go."

We got to the town square in another fifteen minutes, and Gray was waiting for us with more clothes on than I thought he would have, with a blue t-shirt and black shorts with matching flip-flops. His hair was a shaggy black as usual, and his necklace hung down onto his chest. He had his hands in his pockets and had a cocky grin on his face.

"It's about time," he said sarcastically. "I thought you were going to bail on me."

"Oh, you mean because I was worried that I would kick your ass worse than Natsu's? Yeah, I debated that." Lucy chuckled in impressment.

He growled. "Don't get so cocky, trainer!" He yelled. "I will freeze your Pokémon to their souls!"

"Yeah, right!" I threw the tiny ball from my left hand to my right, and it enlarged. "There's no way ice can beat this one!" I went into my throw stance. "Flareon, you're up!" The ball flew and popped open, revealing a huge orange and yellow ball of fur. Flareon puffed out his fur, tiny embers letting off heat into the air around him. He cried his name in readiness.