Beneath The Surface

A/N: I Got to say, this new season forced me to retcon a bunch of stuff in this story, but I loved the season overall and can't wait for more, stay tuned for uploads. Also, I mean to get this out on Sunday but the Christmas season is always hell a busy for all of us, huh.

I stood at the front of the boat and felt the wind blow through my messy, long brown hair. I could hear the sounds of my fellow campers, friends and family behind me setting out plates of food for a small celebration of us surviving six months on a dinosaur infested island with no help at all. It had been about an hour since we Isla Nublar had completely disappeared, sealing the deal that we were finally on our way home.

"Are we really off the island or is this a dream?" Sammy said as she put another plate out.

"If it were a dream," Yasmina said. "I'm thinking we'd have a change of clothes".

"Ha, what do you mean?" Ben said jokingly, gesturing to himself. "I've always wanted a signature look".

"Oh please," I said, I turning around and joining the group. "The only signature 'look' I've gotten from you is the cold hard Ben glare".

"The Ben glare?" Ben asked.

"Yeah, you know when you do this," I propped on foot on the table and leaned on my elevated leg, half closing my eyes and pretending to hold a spear and staring at my friends in a fake intimidating fashion. That got everyone laughing together, all except one.

Darius and Brooklynn seemed to realise as well as the three of us looked up towards the captains deck as and saw Kenji in the smashed window, he had a stoic expression on his face and didn't seem to notice us looking at him. Oddly, enough, it was Brooklynn who took the lead and walked towards the bridge to talk to him. I decided it was better off to let her do it alone, since I had a feeling Kenji was also slightly angry with me.

While Ben went to go get the main course as he called it. The rest of us sat down and waited, Kenji rounded the corner with Brooklynn and after a glare at Darius sat down on the opposite couch to him and sat on the complete other side of me. He met Darius' eyes and glared at him again, then he looked over to me and caught me looking too, his gaze softened only slightly and he shook his head at me.

Ben came back with a large plate of...something, I couldn't quite see it because he was holding it above his head like a fancy waiter. "And now, for the main course," he announced. "The plumpest and the juiciest...Nublar grubs!" He lowered the plate, revealing it to be full of grubs, the very same ones we had often seen him eating back on the island. "Hand selected by yours truly. Thank you for your sacrifice". He picked up a grub and swallowed it whole.

He walked over to Sammy and offered the plate to her. Sammy smiled nervously and picked up a grub, she stared at the squirming thing in her hand and raised it to her mouth. Darius and I glanced at each other in horror. Was she really about to do it?

"Dew it," Ben said, sounding like a certain villain from a movie series I liked. Sammy pulled back and threw the grub away, unfortunately it landed on Yasmina's head, causing to stand up and shake, throwing the grub off and flying through the air. It landed on Darius, who recoiled in fright and stared at the thing on his nose. "How you guys survived, I'll never know," Ben said as he took the grub off of Darius and ate it.

Ben set the plate down in front of Yasmina, who moved it aside with her foot. "Okay. No tears or goodbyes until we're sitting on the plane," Sammy said. "But can I just say, look at us, we started as campers and now we're --".

"Immortal".

"Survivors?"

"Exhausted".

"Vegans?" I shuddered, remembering the fact that we probably haven't eaten meat in the past forever. I couldn't wait to start eating regular food again.