Technical Difficulties

A few hours following Kash around later, he stopped at a room in the compound and opened the door for us. Inside were two beds with a few other pieces of furniture around. I didn't pay too much attention since there was no chance I was sleeping here even if I wanted to.

"You two are staying here for tonight. If I catch you out of this room, then we're going to have a serious problem," Kash said sternly. Darius and I looked at him with a raised eyebrow. Kash just now seemed to realise how much he just sounded like a parent warning a child and scoffed before marching away.

We walked into the room and sat down on the beds, spending a few minutes in silence before Darius spoke up. "If night has fallen, the others will be waiting for us soon. We should go to Kash's office and listen in to see if he says anything important before they get here". He stood up and walked to the door.

"Darius," I said suddenly. He turned and looked at me, I didn't meet his gaze and kept my eyes to the floor. "I...have to tell you something...the others have to know too, but I don't know how to say it".

"What do you mean?" He asked. "Does it have something to do with why you've been so...distant and closed off. I first thought it was because you would miss us once we got home, then I thought it was because you were putting your all into planning out a strategy to get Kash's phone and all that. But know, I got nothing".

"It's not something that you'll process easily...even I haven't yet, but I have a feeling you'll be the first to know and I need you to promise not to tell the others until I'm ready, okay?" Darius studied me for a few seconds, then he looked back at the door and walked back to the bed, sitting across from me and waiting patiently.

"When we were still on Nublar and Wu had appeared and taken Brooklynn and I hostage, he...showed me a lab that was used to experiment on a secret hybrid. You heard him speak the hybrid name, remember?"

"Uh...yeah," Darius replied in thought. "I think he said...MX-27 right?" I nodded to him and exhaled deeply. I closed my eyes and tried not to think too much about what I was about to say. I looked back up and opened my mouth to speak. "Yeah, I've been thinking a lot about that too," Darius interrupted. "So far we've seen nothing other than the name, but if its here on this island, we should probably find it and think of a way to stop it before it hurts anyone".

"Huh?"

"If it's like any other hybrid, like the Indominus or the Scorpios, it'll kill anything in its path and we can't let it do that," Darius put his hand on my shoulder, failing to notice that I was trembling. Don't worry Max, if we come across it, we'll deal with it just like we did every other one we've faced".

I pushed his hand off me and stood up, struggling to nod to him and walking out of the room with speed in my step. Darius followed me out and pointed in the other direction. "Kash's office is this way," he called.

"You go there," I called back as my voice broke. "I'll go this way. Don't follow me!" I rounded the corner and full on sprinted away. Turning at random corners and never stopping to rest. I'm pretty sure I ran in circles multiple times but I didn't care. I opened a random door and dashed inside, slamming it closed behind me and bending down to catch my breath.

I didn't cry this time. I didn't cry because I wasn't disappointed. I knew he would say something like that and my expectations were met. The last few whispers of self-worth I had in myself fizzled out. Now that I knew what would happen to me if the others find out, the only choice I had left was to do what Darius said.

I had to kill the hybrid. MX-27 had to die.

I gripped my knees as a new wave of determination washed over me. The only way I could save everyone was if I erased all traces of me from Mantah Corps database then found a way to remove the dinosaur genes from me, and if that didn't work, then I had only one option left.