The Indoraptor

A/N: Hey everyone. I unfortunately cannot apologise for the long silence so I figured I'd just lay it all out and explain. Things have been rough for me recently, going through some very mentally testing experiences. I won't go into details, since that's not what you guys come here for.

Any annoyance you have towards me for not updating is completely understandable, I'm annoyed at myself too! I wanted to update, very badly, but I was just never in the right headspace. But I'm here now, so things have got to be getting better, right?

Anyway, moving on, I've seen that Chaos Theory trailer and I'm super hyped for the show, however this does mean that Dominion will need to be put on hold until then. Honestly, I think that's a much better idea since I've been considering just doing an entire rewrite of the movie, to make it anything but that mess that we got.

So yeah, enjoy the chapter and thanks for your patience. (Also I graduated from school so I've got endless amounts of time my hands now, so next chapter will be in the works shortly)

Claire waited down in the lower tunnels with Masie, listening out for any sounds that would suggest danger coming towards them. She peeked her head out from around a corner and stared down the long hallway, relieved to find it was empty. She let out a sigh and allowed herself to relax. "Okay, we should be safe here for now". She leaned against the wall as Masie sat down beside her, hugging her knees close to her chest. 

Claire immediately noticed her posture and knelt down to her height. "Are you alright?" She asked.

Masie didn't move, her eyes remained staring at the floor with a distant expression across her face. "How did everything go so wrong?" She asked, barely above a whisper. "This morning I was excited about animals finding a new home, and now...my grandpa is...gone, the man who he thought of as his friend has gone insane and started selling animals, and now my brother, who I thought was dead for three years, is suddenly back and everything about him is different!"

Her eyes closed as tears visibly built up. Claire leaned in further and put her arm around the girl. "I'm sorry, I've known Max for about two and half years, and he never told me where he was from or his family. I never asked because I thought it was a sensitive topic, which, I guess I was right about...," she made a slight chuckle at the lame attempt at humour. "But you know what?" 

The girl made a small noise to show she was listening. "I think you were always on his mind. I could tell. There was always something he was thinking about, something he had to do or something that was stressing him out. And tonight, I know more about him than I ever have when he was working for me. He's been through a lot, Masie. He may be different person now, but that doesn't mean he no longer loves you. I know he does, and he knows it too. Which is why he's out there with Owen, making sure you and I are safe".

The two of them sat in silence for a little while longer, with Claire's arm comfortably around Masie, who was grateful for the company.

Then footsteps began to get louder. Claire and Masie immediately sat up as Max and Owen rounded the corner and stopped upon spotting them. Not even a second had passed before Max knelt down in front of Masie and offered his hand to her, along with his best smile. "Hey, are you alright?"

Masie looked at his hand for a moment, then to his face. She smiled as she grabbed and was pulled to her feet. She darted forward and wrapped Max in a hug, who gladly returned it. "I'm glad you're back," she said.

"Huh? Did I miss something?" Max asked, jokingly as the two of them separated.

"First rule, Max. Never ask a pair of women what they were talking about," Owen said.