Stay On Mission

I dribbled the ball in between my feet as I approached the goal. "He's going for the centre kick, the goalie has no idea what's coming for her," I commentated. A head of me between two large sticks dug into the gravel of the driveway was Mazy, her stance calm but nervous as I got closer. "That was a trick, he goes to the left". I suddenly dashed the right and kicked the ball right into the very corner of the makeshift goal. Mazy tried to grab but was far too slow. "He shoots and scores!" I turned back towards the manor behind us and bowed to an imaginary audience. I turned and was met with the ball flying towards my face. I ducked at a quick speed and watched it sail over my head.

"Then the audience realise how much of an idiot Max is and boo at him," Mazy said with a strained smile.

"Oh no, please not the boos," I said, holding up my hands as if blocking projectiles. I eventually collapsed to the ground and started fake crying.

"Oh come, you baby," Mazy said, standing over me. She offered her hand to me, I took it but she fell down as well next to me. "God, why are you so heavy?" She said next to me.

"I'm a lot older than you," I said simply, I stood and dusted myself off and offering her my hand. She took it with a sigh as I stood her up.

"I'm so glad I'm not a smelly teenager like you," she said. There, of course, was no odour whatsoever but it was an insult she always used.

"Hey, this smell is not achieved easily," I said, deciding to go along with it. "Besides, it won't be long before your a teen too".

"Still a couple more years of freedom," she said with a smug smile.

The sound of a car approaching us brought us out of our conversation. We turned and watched it travel up the drive. It was a jet black simple yet expensive looking car. It pulled up next to us and the driver door opened. A man stepped out, dressed very formally yet still holding a casual look to his appearance. "Mr Mills, hey!" I called. Mills looked to us and smiled.

"Hey, you two, what's going on?" He walked over to us and stood over us.

"We were playing with the ball, I finally convinced Max to play with me, but he was being an idiot again," Mazy said. I turned to her with annoyed stare. Her smug smile returned to her face.

"Let me guess," Mills said, "he beat you at the game". Mazy looked down and nodded. Mills laughed and turned to me. For a moment his eyes switched from friendly to apprehensive, before returning to friendly again. He lightly punched my shoulder. "Well, Mazy, you should have learned by now that there is no stopping this kid, he'll never give up".

"I know, I just don't how he does it," Mazy said.

"Oh there's a lot about him you don't know," he replied, with a final ruffle of my hair, he stood up and clapped his hands together. "Right, well, your grandfather wants to see me, so I better get going, good luck you two". He turned and walked up the stone stairs and opened the double door and vanished from sight.

"I know I'm not really a part of your family," I said, turning back to my friend. "But as you know, your like a sister to me, and well... what do you reckon, he's like some cool uncle to both of us, huh?"

"Nah, he's like that strange rando that comes in and does shifty stuff," she replied, clearly joking. I rolled my eyes at her.

"Whatever, so, ready for another loss?" I ran over to the ball and picked it up, set it under my foot with a competitive smile.

"You wish".

0O0

A loud clanging noise invaded my ears, stunning me out of the void of unconsciousness. I groggily opened my eyes and sat up, a piercing headache rattling my brain. Eventually my vision cleared and I looked around. I was on a cold, hard surface surrounded by walls and pipes. I was back inside the lab.