The Long Game

After what felt like hours but was only a few minutes, we all stood up and turned around, walking back into the jungle and towards the airlock where we had last seen Mae. "We will get home, Yaz," I said to her as I held her hand.

"If you say it enough times, it has to be true, right?" As we approached the door, it slid open and Mae, accompanied by Darius and Ben rushed out.

"The plane left without you!?" She said. "I'm so sorry, I don't know what's going on here, but you have my word that I'll get you off this island somehow".

"No," Darius said, stepping in front of her. "We're staying. Obviously, this isn't what we wanted. Like at all. But we can't quit now. Mantah Corp doesn't care if they're hurting dinosaurs, and Mae, you can't protect them all on your own. We have to stay and fix this, however long it takes".

"Sure," Yasmina said quietly as she stared at the ground. "Whatever you say". I sighed as I looked away. I wish Darius had stayed so he could've seen the state she was just in, maybe then he'd think twice about all of this and focus more about us.

"Let's get to work then," Mae said. "We've got to get Pierce back to the desert biome. And if the plane is gone then that means that new dinosaur food has already been unloaded". She turned and led the way back into the facility as we followed her.

"We'll go check the T-rex biome to make sure the food hasn't been tainted again," Brooklynn said as she stood next to Kenji.

"Ya'll, Yaz and I are both wrecked," Sammy spoke up suddenly. "So we're going to get some rest if that's cool".

"Of course," Brooklynn said immediately.

"Yeah, don't worry about it," Ben added.

"Take as long as you need," I said.

"After your all done, we'll meet at Mae's and figure out a game plan to protect those dinosaurs," Yasmina said, putting on the best smile she could manage right now. I began to follow Ben and Darius, but she suddenly grabbed my hand, stopping me from walking away. "Sorry, it's just...could you come too?"

I let out small laugh. "You sure? I could just be crowding...". I saw her face and immediately shut up. "Right, sure thing," I said.

We followed Kenji and Brooklynn back into the T-rex biome and then split up. Sammy, Yasmina and I all went to the waterfall and walked into Mae's cave. Sammy led Yasmina into the bedroom and she lay down on one side and closed her eyes, not falling asleep but just trying to calm down for now.

Sammy lay a glass of water on the bedside nest to her and sat down on the other side of the bed. I leaned on the wall in the doorway and watched the two of them from a distance, I wasn't that tired.

"I think I might have forgotten how to sleep," Yasmina said as her eyes opened.

"People always say to clear your mind, but I like to think of all the thing that me fell warm and gooey," Sammy said.

"What if I've forgotten that too?"

"Think about home. What you miss," Sammy replied, she lay down on the other side of the bed and yawned. "I'll start. Strong showers. That feeling of waking up before your alarm and realising you get to sleep for another hour. Cable TV".

Yasmina closed her eyes. "I miss cheeseburgers. Hotdogs or corndogs". She yawned loudly and leaned to one side. "Maybe I just miss mustard and ketchup.

"I miss my sister yelling at football games".

"I miss Masie's competitive spirit when we used to play games together," I added, standing in the doorway and leaning on the wall.

"I miss watching my mom get ready for work. The dumb high-fives she gives me when I get home from school. I miss her kababs, our movie nights. I miss..". Then, just like that, she had fallen asleep, her breathing had gone shallow, the same as Sammy's.