Staying Alive

The fight with Pierce the Kentrosaurus and Big Eatie the T-rex was still going on outside, but we didn't even notice as we stood in the main room of the compound, we had our own situation to deal with. We had been caught. 

Kash's glare didn't falter as he held Darius' collar while he looked straight at me. My feet were frozen to the floor, I couldn't move, despite my brain was screaming at my legs to bolt out of the room and never look back. I thought I was ready to face Kash and whatever else made up Mantah Corp, but now, I was so unbelievably frightened.

"You two sneaks had better get to answering right quick!" Kash shouted at us. "Who are you?" Darius looked at me and we shared a glance. I was completely useless right now, I had no ideas on how we could get out of this.

"I'm...I'm...," Darius stuttered as sweat fell down his forehead. This was it, we were done for. Suddenly, a smile spread across Darius' face. "I'm the luckiest guy alive!" He said, walking forward and, much to my surprise, he wrapped Kash in a hug. "Finally, another human. We're saved! Can you believe it, Max?" He looked back at me with an expression that made me understand what he had in mind. I was lucky that I caught onto it so quickly, a second later and our plan wouldn't have worked.

"Y-yeah, we found help!" I said as I forced a smile onto my face and dashed forward. I peeled Darius off of Kash and rubbed my head nervously. "S-sorry, sir. We're just really happy to see an adult".

"Okay, back it up and answer my questions," Kash demanded. "Who are you and how did you get on my island?"

Darius and I stood next to each other, trying to look as non-suspicious as possible. "My name is Darius Bowman," he said. "Our boat was destroyed and we washed up here. We...we came from Isla Nublar". 

Kash stepped back and looked at us with a raised eyebrow. Then he pointed his chin at us and crossed his arms smugly. "Nice try, Jurassic World tanked six months ago," Kash said.

"No way," Darius said with wide eyes. "Are...has it really been that long?" He looked at me and asked the same question again. Of course, he already knew the answer, but I went along with his act and shrugged. "My dad and I were on vacation, I was allowed to take my best friend, Max here with me". He pointed at me as I waved shyly. 

"Then that Indominus thing escaped. We hid in these caves for a while, so we missed the evacuation. After that, we had to fight for our lives everyday," Darius said, I knew he wasn't faking that part of the story. "My dad, he...he didn't make it out. It's just been Max and I ever since". My solemn expression was not faked this time as I put my hand on his shoulder comfortingly.

"You expect me to believe that?" Kash asked.

"It's the truth." Darius said. "Look man, if you let me call someone, anyone. We're more than happy to get out of your way and get the heck home".

"No can do. You've seen too much," Kash replied. "So, you two are stuck here, until I decide what to do with you". He walked around the table and slammed his hands on the desk. "Let's say for a moment, I believe your crazy story. You're telling me you destroyed an entire warehouse of BRADs on your own?"

"Dang it Ben, why do you always have to blow stuff up?" I thought. I was just glad he had told me how he was going to do it before rushing off. "Wasn't that hard," I said. "Flammable canisters and a snow glider? Easy".

"And how did you get past my raptors?" Kash asked.

I wrapped my arm around Darius and patted his poofy hair. "Darius knows everything there is to know about dinosaurs," I said. "Ask him anything, he'll now. Including how to avoid a pack of angry raptors".

It looked like Kash was about to ask more questions, but then the dinosaurs outside roared louder, more pained roars. Kash turned and walked to the window. Darius and I heaved a sigh of relief, we could use this time to refine out alibi a bit more.