Shaky Ground

The huge dinosaur rounded the corner, the shaking ground causing Kenji to fall backwards. He looked up at the curious face of Toro. The Carnotaurus' eyes narrowed in anger and roared at him. "Right, never were one for small talk," Kenji said.

Toro lunged forward. But then, he was immediately taken by surprise as Hawkes jumped onto her neck and grabbed one of his horns, holding a chip gun in the other. Toro shook back and forth, trying to get the man off him. A yellow controller flew from Hawkes onto the ground at Kenji's feet.

Hawkes glanced at Kenji for a moment, then pulled back harder on the horns, making Toro rear backwards and stumbled away. The dinosaur finally slammed against the wall of the pit they were in and threw his head back. Hawkes lost his grip and flew into the air, hitting the wall and landing in a heap on the ground.

Toro looked down at the defenceless man on the ground and opened his mouth, leaning forward. Suddenly, Toro couldn't move. His eyes went wide in fright before turning dull and blank. Kenji took his finger off the button on the controller and sighed in relief when Toro still didn't move.

Hawkes regained consciousness at that moment and looked up, seeing the Toro frozen above him. Kenji walked over to him and offered his hand to him. "Thanks," Kenji said.

"Likewise," Hawkes replied as he was hauled up, briefly surprised at the teenagers strength.

"Kenji!" Mr Kon shouted, running up to the pair, looking relieved. "That was some quick thinking, son".

"It was a team effort," Kenji replied.

Mr Kon nodded and looked up at the Carnotaurus. "Aesthetically, a scarred dinosaur wouldn't be my first choice, but it should be enough to convince BioSyn". Kenji frowned at the thought of just handing his arch-nemesis over to some random company, but he quickly shook the thought away and smiled again. But the side glance Mae was giving him didn't go unnoticed.

0O0

We watched Big and Little Eatie continue to roar in fright, even after the ground had stopped shaking. Big Eatie charged the invisible fence and was beaten back just like the other half a dozen times.

"The Earthquake is over. Why are they still scared?" Sammy cried.

"I don't know, but they're going to hurt themselves," Ben said.

"Come on, we have to shut down the drones," Brooklynn said.

"But if we do, won't this place be like Nublar all over again!?" Yasmina shouted. "Where we're always nearly dying".

"But if we leave them, that makes too much like Kash or the Kons," Ben argued.

"Mr Kon," Brooklynn corrected angrily. Ben nervously scratched his cheek in response to that.

I stepped forward and faced the group. "We have the compound now, which means we can drop the drones while still having a secure place to hide. Plus, there's no way we're leaving them like this".

"You go ahead, I'll stay here," Darius said, not looking away from the raging animals. "It'll take a while to shut the drones down. I'll get Mae's tablet and calm them down while you do that".

"Good idea, but maybe someone should stay here with you," Brooklynn stepped forward.

"No, that's okay," Darius knelt down in front of the dinosaurs and turned to us. "I'd rather do this alone". For a moment, his eyes flicked to me with an unreadable look and then looked back.

"Okay, we'll send you a message as soon as we can. Stay safe," Brooklynn said, turning and running towards the nearest airlock. I made to run after them, but Darius suddenly spoke again.