Salvation

The fire in the distance continued to burn as we stared at it. There were other people on this island, they could be our rescue team, our salvation. "Oh man," Kenji said, "that is most definitely a bonfire".

"It's...it's our rescue team," I said.

"We made it," Darius said, "guys we did it," I laughed in disbelief somehow we had beaten the odds and survived long enough for help to arrive. "Well what are we waiting for?! It's time to go home!"

We grabbed our weapons and took off into the jungle. Every now and then we'd stop and one of us would climb a tree to see how far out we were from the fire, every time we checked, we got closer and closer. We jumped over logs and ran up and down hills, none of us faltered. Darius climbed up the next tree and checked, he stayed a moment longer than he should have and then climbed down. "The bonfire, it's gone," he said.

"What if the people sent to save us gave up?" Sammy said, "and we missed our only chance".

"Don't say that," I said, "they couldn't left just like that, they still have to be here somewhere". A loud roar tore through the silent night. We immediately formed a circle and looked into the dark jungle.

"It could be a really big Compy," Kenji said, "Darius, didn't you say they were creepy skylark?"

"I said they were crebuscular," Darius corrected. Then a Ceratosaurus appeared out of the trees. It wasn't jet black like the one we saw at the watering hole, this one had a red face with a whitish grey body. It roared at us and dispersed our defensive circle. We ran away from it as fast as we could, we didn't know which way we were going but we would figure it out later. Kenji checked behind him, unfortunately it was bad timing, he turned around and his face met a low hanging branch at extreme force. He was knocked to the ground and his knife fell from his hand. Sammy tripped over him. The four of us rushed back to help them. Yasmina and Darius ran to help our fallen friends to their feet. Brooklynn and I took a defensive stance toward the rapidly approaching Ceratosaurus. Kenji was dazed, he couldn't see straight or get up. We wouldn't have enough time to pick him up before the dinosaur reached us. We were trapped.

"Okay, come on!" Brooklynn yelled, raising her baseball bat. So this was it. Well, if I'm going down, I'm going down fighting.

"Give us all you got!" I screamed as loud as I could to the dinosaur. The Ceratosaurus roared back even louder. It raised its huge head above us and prepared to bite down on us. Suddenly a bright red flare shot out from behind us and hit the Ceratosaurus in the face. It roared in pain and stepped back.

Before I could fully process what was happening, a hand shoved me to the ground. "Get down," it yelled as loud cracks sounded out and the Ceratosaurus backed further away. A final flare was shot and the Ceratosaurus turned and fled. Through the smoke, I could see three figures before us, they looked taller than us and older as well, meaning they were probably adults. One of them turned around, it was woman with a safari hat and clothing with a camera around her neck. A man next to her, wearing similar attire looked back at us as well.

"Oh thank goodness you're okay," the woman said. We didn't say anything back, we just stayed staring at them, breathing heavily.

"You are okay aren't you?" The man said. He offered me his hand and I hesitantly took it, he lifted me to my feet.

"Who...who are you?" I asked, still found completely dumbfounded.

"Well after that you may just call us your salvation," the woman said, she glanced back at the other two men behind us with a smile.

0O0

The sun had risen and we were walking with the three newcomers. The two safari dressed people were staying with the group while the third person, a man lead the way, chopping through plants with a machete. He was dressed a lot more appropriately for a dinosaur filled island. He looked like he came straight out of the military. "So who are you guys?" Darius asked.