Last Day At Camp

Alarms blared around us, we all glanced at each other and quickly joined up, it was time to keep moving. A voice rang out over some hidden speakers. "An emergency evacuation of the island has begun, all personnel and guests must head to the south docks immediately, the last ferry will depart in two hours".

"Are you kidding me", Brooklynn said. "That's all we get? No information why?".

Time to come up with a new plan. "I think we can make it if we run," Darius said.

"It's probably the only way we'll make it," I said.

"Um," Sammy said, glancing at the limping shape of Yasmina, who had only just made it to us because of her injured foot. "Are we sure that's the best way to get there?" Sammy questioned.

"I'm fine," Yasmina said stubbornly, "I can run with a torn ankle".

Ben ran up to us, panting. "What we all should be worrying is catching a ferry ride out of here, and as usual, we have a problem". He pulled a map of the island out of his door pouch. "This is where we are," he said while pointing to a large lagoon on the map. "And the south docks are way over here". He pointed to the bottom edge of the island, it was at least a few hours away. "Even if we ran at peak Yaz speed, there's no way we would make it in time".

"You don't know that for sure," Sammy said.

"Yes I do," Ben said. "I memorised the evacuation plan on the ferry ride over".

A series of groans and the feeling of hopelessness. I quickly stopped myself from falling into despair. Alright, new plan. "Ok," Darius said, stopping me from thinking any further, he pointed to the kayaks still in the river. "Can we use those somehow? Or can we send someone ahead to tell the ferry to wait?"

"Maybe we can find a vehicle or some kind of shortcut," I said, trying to help.

Brooklynn threw her hands up in the air. "Or make some random jetpacks," she said. "Oh, we should befriend a flying unicorn". She hung her head. "Face it, it's hopeless". The universe seemed to really want to prove Brooklyn wrong as we heard a new sound.

Across the lagoon, a monorail rounded a corner, from here we could hear it's announcement. "Welcome to the Jurassic World lagoon," it said. "Here, you'll see the amazing Mosasaurus, followed by the south docks".

Brooklynn crossed her arms. "Huh, not bad, universe". She said.

"That was...weird," I said.

Kenji suddenly threw his arms out in celebration. "Monorail, what-what!" He shouted.

"Let's go," Darius said. We turned around, and ran back up the stairs, the station was behind the stadium of the lagoon. Sammy, Kenji and Brooklynn ran ahead of us, they ran out of the stadium whooping and celebrating before stopping short and running back to cover behind the wall. I rushed up to them. Brooklynn quickly stood up and beckoned me down, she put a finger to her lips. I poked my head out from behind the wall. I could see the station, there was a staircase leading up to it, maybe twenty or thirty stairs in total. But the big thing stopping us from getting there was none other than Toro himself, our favourite Carnotaurus, standing a few metres away from the station, blocking our path.

The monorail was getting closer by the second. Toro looked away from us and began to walk to our right. It was now or never. Darius gestured for everyone to follow, then sprinted for the stairs, he made it, and took cover behind them. I ran next and jumped up the stairs and hiding behind the concrete railing.

I turned around and saw that literally nobody else had followed me, they were still at stage one. I gave them a look. They returned one. I had to think of something quickly. I peaked over the edge and looked down at Darius , the two if us exchanged a glance. He reached over and picked up a drink, it was empty, so it would make plenty of noise. He threw it past Toro. He didn't see it, but he did hear it. His head turned to where the noise was and walked towards it. I beckoned the other campers forward, this time they complied and they made a dash for it. As usual, being a bit slow, Ben fell behind, but this time he was joined by Yasmina who was limping alongside him. They were the last ones to make it. I got down on my hands and knees and quietly crawled up the stairs, the monorail was almost at the station. Kenji and Brooklynn sped past me. I was more concerned about the people behind me. I was moving a bit slower to make sure they weren't left behind, just like I had promised.