Eye Of The Storm

I made the journey through the jungle alone, I had left everyone else back at camp, it was a simple get in and get out mission. Once again the jungle was as quiet as ever, not a single dinosaur in sight. If my memory was correct, I was coming up on my destination: Mitch and Tiff's old campsite. There was probably more supplies there that would help us once we cast out, plus I really wanted my weapon back.

When I emerged into the clearing where the campsite should be, the memories came over me. Despite the camp being mostly destroyed, I still remembered when we had trusted those two. I self-consciously touched my side, feeling a small scar where the bullet had hit me. I still couldn't believe I had survived that, or the fact that I had recovered so quickly.

The yurts had been destroyed, all of them. The fireplace in the middle was nothing but a small scorch mark on the ground. Crates were crushed all across the area. I checked around to see if any guns hadn't been crushed, I had no luck. I picked through more of the rubble and I found my spear, I picked up and twirled it around for a second. I found a small bag that had nothing in it, but it would help with us carrying the supplies to the boat once we were ready to leave. I decided I had better take it and slung the bag over my shoulder, picked up my spear and walked away from the camp.

On the way back, I sensed danger. I couldn't explain how I knew, it was as if some voice in the back of my head was telling me I was being watched. I dropped the bag and spun around, my spear in hand. I heard and saw nothing. I knew I couldn't wait here forever to wait for the thing to show itself. I slowly bent down and picked up the bag again, slung it over my shoulder and slowly walked backwards, staying attentive of all sounds and sights around me. I felt my hearing somehow adapt to the quietness, even picking up the smallest of noises of small insects chirping, I also thought somehow my vision was a little sharper, my eyes darting in the direction of each sound I heard, but it just had to be the nerves in my body.

I didn't know how long I was waking backwards before I finally stumbled back into the grounds of our base. I saw Kenji and Darius on the balcony, I walked to the building, opened the blue gate and climbed up the ladder. I held my spear up victoriously and threw the bag into a corner with a bunch of other bags. They congratulated me on finding my spear and then silence ensued for a bit. I still couldn't get the feeling I had got in the jungle just now out of my head, I didn't how I felt when that had happened, I just didn't feel like myself back then.

"If the time is right we should have around twelve hours until the patch on the boat sets," Kenji said,. "But it seems totally dry to me. I was going to touch it but I didn't. Restraint yo".

I noticed Darius looking at his book with a sad expression, he seemed deep in thought. "Hey, Darius, you okay?" I asked.

"Huh? Oh yeah, I'm fine," he said, "I've just always wanted to see a Gallimimus for my... book, but never got around to it".

"So go now," I said as I sat back on the couch.

"Really? I don't know it seems a little late," Darius said.

"Sammy and Brooklynn aren't back from their investigation of that E750 thing. Yaz is out running and Ben's probably out being weird somewhere," Kenji added.

"And as he said just now, we've got twelve hours before we can leave," I said, "if you've got something you want to do, do it while there is still time".

"Nah, I got to get the supplies together for the trip to Costa Rica," Darius said.

"I'll do it," Kenji said.

"You? Seriously?" Darius asked.

"Max and I got this," Kenji said as he wrapped his arm around my shoulder, "we'll have the supplies packed and everyone ready to go long before you get back, like I always say, 'the more to do, the more I got this', trust us".