The Long Run

"The spikes are poisonous, we have to take them out," Darius cried as we all watched the shape of Sammy on the floor, her skin had gone pale and she was sweating all over. Brooklynn, Yasmina and Darius crowded around her and took hold of the quills sticking out of her. "One, two, three!" I winced and looked away as the sound of them ripping the spikes out was heard. I heard Yasmina repeatedly crying out Sammy's name but she wouldn't respond. Soon everyone fell silent as Sammy fell unconscious, but her steady breathing told us she wasn't dead yet, but we didn't know how much time she had left.

I sat off to the side and lightly tapped the tip of my shovel on my head while I stared at the ground. I couldn't bare to look at anyone. Darius was right, we couldn't stay here any longer, we barely survived that last attack. We would have all died if the Scorpios hadn't suddenly ran off. That made me wonder why it had run off in the first place, it had us backed into a corner, so why didn't it strike?

"Sammy? Sammy!? Can you hear me?" Yasmina asked, she was gripping her hand tightly with tears in her eyes. "Everything is going to be okay". Sammy only slightly groaned in response. I closed my eyes and put my head in my hands. I was beginning to get so overwhelmed with everything that had gone wrong that I couldn't think straight. Just earlier everything felt fine and clear but now it all feels hopeless.

"The poison is already in her system, we have to find some kind of antidote fast," Darius said.

Brooklynn gasped, "the lab! Dr Wu was attacked by the Scorpios-rex before, they injected him with some kind of needle to help him". Yasmina flew to her feet and gripped Brooklynn's shoulders.

"Where is this lab!?" She demanded. Brooklynn fished out a map and handed it to Yasmina, she pointed to a small yellow dot marking the lab.

"Just past the raptor pen," Brooklynn said.

Yasmina put the map in her pocket and ran out of the perimeter fence. "Woah, Yaz stop!" Darius cried, "the Scorpios is still-!"

"I don't care!" Yasmina shouted, "I'm saving her and I'll do it alone". Then she turned and continued running in the direction of the lab. I stood up and tried to run after, but she was way ahead of me.

"Yaz wait!" I screamed, she didn't turn around. "At least let someone come with you!" My voice echoed loudly around the area. I didn't know my voice could reach that kind of volume. Yasmina disappeared into the trees. I shook my head and turned back to the others.

"She won't last long out there with the Scorpios after her," Darius said.

I stared at my open palm, then squeezed it into a fist tightly. "Which is why we're not going to let it get to her," I said. Darius stared at me in confusion. "We are going to find a way to distract that thing. Yaz will make it back. I'll make sure of that". Darius looked at me as if judging me, then he slowly nodded. "Alright, so what do we know about this thing and what are our advantages?"

"Well... when the tree was struck by lightning, it didn't run from it, it went to towards it, as if it was hypnotised," Darius said, "if we could somehow recreate that but to a much higher extent, it just might be enough to draw the Scorpios away from Yaz". Ben walked up to us with a smile.

"Well, I just might have an idea of how we can do that," he said, "follow me".

I made to follow them but I turned and saw Kenji and Brooklynn still crouched in front of Sammy. "You two stay with her, we'll be back as soon as we can". They nodded and turned their heads back to Sammy. I turned and ran to catch up with Ben and Darius, ready to put our plan into action.

0O0

We had been walking for a while now, the were few faint roars in the distance but they all sounded mournful or Scorpios-like, the island was falling further and further out of balance. "So what's the plan?" I asked Ben.