Things Fall Apart

The next day, we were all gathered in the common room, we had been woken up al little earlier than usual by the sound of a helicopter flying over our heads. Kenji was sitting in one those chairs with wheels and sliding around the room. Yasmina had her book out while Samy marvelled at her work. On the couch opposite them, Ben thought to himself for a moment before pulling out a pice of paper and crayons from the desk and began drawing himself.

Suddenly the door burst open and Darius skidded inside. "What is up Camp Cretaceous, woohoo!" He yelled loudly.

"Not in a very woohoo mood, Darius," Kenji grumbled at me, he was leaning back on a chair with wheels, very dangerous. "Not after yesterday, walking through a rainstorm will do that to you".

Ben was lowered his crayons and peeked over his sheet of paper. "We only had to walk, because you crashed our gyro-sphere!" He took a sip from a juice box he was holding. Kenji clenched his fist and growled at Ben who then leaned back hiding from Kenji's view.

Yasmina and Sammy were looking at Yasmina's scrapbook, Sammy was looking at what was inside with amazement. I peeked over her shoulder and looked at what was inside. It looked like a Tyrannosaurus-rex eating someone, suddenly I recognised the face of who was getting eaten. It was me. I had a look of fright on my face yet it was also somewhat comedic, as if it was some kind of joke. I found the drawing strangely relatable, she had captured my character perfectly. 

"Ouch", I thought as I stared at my other self getting eaten. Brooklynn was nowhere to be found. "But today is a new day," Darius said. Kayak day, who else wants to row right beside dinosaurs, real dinosaurs". No-one answered, then I noticed something, Dave's alarm hadn't gone off yet. "Wait," Darius said, looking around. "Where are Dave and Roxie?"

Kenji turned around in his chair. "The babysitters took off early and left this," he smacked a sticky note onto his chest. "Take a look".

He peeled the note off and began to read it aloud. I peeked over his shoulder and read it as well. "B.R.B, got to go big boss talk, stay cool," there was a weird drawing in the corner.

"Is that a dinosaur emoji with a thumbs up?" I questioned.

"It's Dave speech," Kenji said. "Roxie translated on the back". Darius flipped it over and tried again.

"We gotta go talk to our boss, stay inside until we return, the radios set for channel six if you need us", there was another paragraph. "Stay inside, stay inside, Kenji looking at you". Darius and I both laughed at that, Kenji simply rolled his eyes. "Sorry about the kids drawings, it's all Dave had". I glanced behind me, on the table there was a small stack of paper with a box of crayons next to it.

"I mean, do they even know how old we are?" Kenji said. "When was the last time you actually saw a crayon!?" Ben cleared his throat and showed off the drawing he had been working on. It looked like him playing chess with an Ankylosaurus, it must be the baby dinosaur that Ben 'fell in love with' as Yasmina put it.

"I have notes," Yasmina said. Sammy laughed and elbowed her. Suddenly the door burst open and Brooklynn was there, and she looked furious. "Hey Brooklynn," Yasmina said with intense sarcasm. "What's going on on the internet super star?"

"I wouldn't know," Brooklynn practically yelled. "Because when I went to get my phone off its charger, it wasn't there, someone stole my phone!"

"Brooklynn," Yasmina said. "Who hasn't touched your phone?"

"I needed to check the weather this morning," Ben said.

"Doctor Satler posted a new article yesterday," Darius said.

"I needed it to take an amazing photo of myself but other than that I haven't touched it, I swear," Kenji said. Brooklynn looked at them with an extremely confused expressions. Then she glared pointedly at Sammy.