Whatever It Takes

The helicopter above didn't move, it just hovered above us, shining the blinding spotlight on us. We were all still too surprised and confused to say anything or even think as to what to do. "Attention! Return to the dock and cut the engine immediately!" The voice from the helicopter came again.

"Yes, yes, yes! We are saved," Kenji cried from above us, he turned and ran back towards the bridge.

"Are we?" Darius mumbled, he looked up and ran towards the bridge. "Wait Kenji!" The rest of us followed him up the ladder and into the control room. Inside, Kenji was humming a tune to himself as he started up the boats engine. Darius dashed over and shut it off before he could move. "I'm not exactly getting good guy vibes, Kenji," Darius said.

"Yeah," Yasmina said. "Unmarked choppers, big scary guns...".

"Oh, I'm sorry," Kenji said condescendingly. "What would you bring to rescue kids from an island full of killer dinosaurs? Cake!?"

I raised my hand to voice my opinion but Ben interrupted me. "No, no, he's got a point," he said.

A loud flash and a thunderclap sounded out. We looked out to the open water and saw the storm was blowing back in towards us. Even if we decided to leave on the boat, we probably wouldn't last long.

"All right then," Darius said. "We take our chances with the people in the helicopter?" We all nodded, though none of us looked happy about it. Kenji reached over and started the engine again, he slowly turned the boat around and drove us back to the dock.

When we docked, Brooklynn and I tied the boat to the pier as the helicopter flew over us. The others jumped off the boat and watched as it landed. We all began to walk towards it. The passenger door slid open and man stepped out, wearing a black cap and heavy duty vest over a grey shirt, and he was brandishing a large rifle. He watched us approach with a confused look. Inside the helicopter was a women who appeared to speaking into her helmet.

"What are you kids doing out here?" The man asked as he helped Ben onto the chopper.

"Long story, too long," Sammy said, climbing on as well.

"Way too long," Kenji added, being the the third to climb on.

"Wait, if you're not here to rescue us, then why are you here?" Ben asked.

I reached out my hand for the man to help me on, but a noise stopped me. I drew my hand back and looked into forest. A loud thudding was approaching us and we knew that rhythm all too well. A loud roar appeared right behind me, I spun around and was met with the T-rex staring at all of us in interest. We were all frozen on the spot, in the darkness of the night and the storm overhead, she looked twice as tall and three times as scary. Her eyes were drawn to the helicopter and roared at it. The pilot gripped the joystick and slowly, the helicopter began to ascend, leaving the four of us and the man behind on the ground. The T-rex reared up and grabbed one of the rungs in its mouth and pulled, attempting to down the helicopter. We watched as Sammy nearly fell out of the dipping chopper before Kenji pulled her back in.

The T-rex finally let go of the chopper and it quickly rose higher. The man began waving frantically at the chopper and running after it. "Wait, stop!" The man cried.

"No, come back!" I called to him.

The T-rex stepped over to him and stared at him menacingly. The man gripped his gun and raised it, but the T-rex was much faster. It's head shot down bit down on him. I watched as he was bit clean in two and the top half of him was swallowed whole. The T-rex began to busy itself with what remained as the chopper rose again and flew away over the trees, leaving us behind.

We all realised at once that the T-rex was still a threat and ran towards the trees. The T-rex turned and spotted us fleeing and chased after us.

The T-rex was really hungry. It chased us at high speed, practically sprinting after us. It was only our quick dodging around trees and logs that were keeping us alive, but even then the dinosaur wasn't giving up. We jumped over another fallen log, the T-rex crushing it underneath it's foot a second later. The four of us ran for a particularly dark spot and split up, hiding in different spots. Rexy slowed down to catch her breath and lowered her head to sniff the ground. She crept along slowly, looking left and right. We were all around her and right now, she didn't seem to know. She walked past a tree, which Darius was hiding behind. Her foot thudded near a rock, where Brooklynn was hiding in its shadow. It sniffed a few small bushes, all except for the one I was hiding in. Finally it sniffed a log that was propped up on a rock, which Yasmina was hiding under.