Eruption

A/N: Really can't talk my way out of this one, can I?

Owen and Max sat next to each other while Zia sat opposite them in the truck as it moved through the jungle alone. Owen had ordered them to only use one vehicle and a smaller group. Too many would alert Blue even more than she probably already was. Max briefly examined the faces of the soldiers around them in the truck. They all seemed particularly tensed, even on edge, more than they were before. Max couldn't blame them, Blue was no ordinary dinosaur. He turned back to Owen and looked at the device in his hands, it showed their location and a blinking light ahead of them, Blue's location. 

Owen frowned as they got closer yet seemed to make no distance, as close as they got to her, she ran further away. "We're not going to get any closer like this," he said to himself. "Stop here!" The truck pulled to a stop and Owen quickly climbed out, Max made to follow him but was stopped. "No, Max. You wait here!"

"But I can help," he argued. "Blue knows me too".

"If two of us show up, she'll think we're ambushing her. It's best if I go alone," Owen caught the down look on Max's face and smirked. "For now anyway, if things go wrong I'll call for backup". He lightly punched Max's shoulder and walked off into the jungle. 

A small number of soldiers climbed up and created a defensive circle around the vehicle, while the rest, including Max, stayed inside. Max couldn't help but be a little upset at the fact that he couldn't go with Owen, but there were bigger things to worry about right now, so he pushed his thoughts aside. Wheatley seemed to catch his expression and spoke up. "Chin up, kid. It's better of you stay with us for now. You get me?" Max looked up and half heartedly nodded.

A quiet and tense few minutes of waiting passed. Wheatley's radio crackled to life and Owen's voice spoke through it. "Wheatley, on my command, wait for my signal," he said. Wheatley and Max's eyes met and for a moment, Max felt a small shiver run down his back as the soldier's eyes narrowed. 

Wheatley turned to the soldiers in the truck and nodded at them, they nodded back. With that, Wheatley climbed out of the truck, and rounded up the troopers already outside. "Hey, Owen told us to wait," Max said. 

"And we will, but we'll trail him in case he needs help," Wheatley said. "You wait here, but we'll need Ms Doctor to come with us". Max and Zia glanced at each other before she climbed out and moved with the group into the jungle. 

Now it was just Max and the few remaining soldiers that had stayed behind. Only a few seconds of quietness had passed before all the soldiers were on alert and gripped their weapons tighter as one by one, they all turned to stare at Max with unreadable expressions. Max stared back at them, confused for a few seconds, before he put two and two together and realised what was going on. He sighed in annoyance as the soldiers tensed themselves. Max mentally slapped himself for not seeing it sooner, but still, he could always fix his mistake.

"So, before we do this. Would anyone like to leave?" Max asked in deadpanned voice. The two seconds of silence were all he needed. They all stood up at the same time and the soldiers all rushed him, tackling him out of the truck and onto the jungle floor. Max placed both his hands on the backs of the closest soldiers and ripped them off him, throwing them as far as into the closest trees. He jumped to his feet and kicked one soldier in the gut while jamming his fist into another's throat. He placed his foot on the winded one's leg and leapt into the air, delivering a kick to his face along the way. He landed directly on top of another's shoulders and with his strength, flipped backwards, bringing the soldier with him, slamming him into the ground.

Max took a moment to catch his breath and got to his feet, looking around at his handiwork. The soldiers were laying on the ground, unconscious. Max checked the ground for Wheatley's tracks, finding them after just a short time, they were leading in the same direction Owen had gone.