To Free Or Not To Free

After helping Claire to her feet, who was still injured by the diorama's, they all made their way to the elevator and started heading down. Max didn't know why they had to return to the lower levels of the mansion, but he did know that Zia was rarely so adamant about a problem. Whatever had happened, it was serious. After the fight with the Indoraptor, Blue had disappeared into the depths of the mansion, but Max had a feeling he'd see her again before the night was over, that's just how she was.

The six of them made their way into the control room, rushing up to the window that overlooked the containment floor, watching as the dinosaurs grew even more panicked from the gas that had begun leaking into their cages.

"No!" Claire whispered. "That will...".

"We tried everything," Zia said sadly. "The ventilation is too damaged and there is no way to contain leak".

Claire glanced between Zia and Franklin, then Owen, then finally, to Max and Masie who stood close by one another. Then, she looked down to a set of red switches that matched the layout of the cages below. Claire limped over to them and hesitated above the red switches for a second before flicking the first one over to green. One of the cage doors opened, allowing three Gallimimus to out into the hall. "I can get them out of their cages, at least".

"Claire," Owen said seriously. "Be careful. We're not an island anymore".

Claire continued to flip the switches, watching as more and more doors opened and the dinosaurs rushed out into the main hall. Soon, the hall was filled with all kinds of herbivores and even Carnivores. Parasaurolophus', Stegosaurus', two Apatosaurus', some Pterandons struggling to find a perch, Rexy herself, and a Carnotaurus with a pattern of red and black scales Max recognised all too well. Every single of the animals was crying out for an exit to this new cage they walked into. Many of them were up against a huge set of hydraulic doors and banging their front legs on it.

Claire flipped the final switch, letting a Triceratops and her baby out, then spied a huge red button in the middle of the panel with a glass covering over it, the words 'MAIN DOORS' were stuck just above it. Claire flipped open the case and put her finger over the button...and she froze.

"Claire, listen to me," Owen said warily. His stare was cold and hard as he watched her. "You press that button and there is now going back".

"...I can't let them die," Claire choked. Her finger hovered over the red button what felt like an eternity, then she lifted it... and put her hand over the glass cover and pulled it back over.

Max his breath catch in his throat as he realised the decision Claire had made. She made her way over to the window to watch as tears fell down her face. Owen walked up beside her and put his hand on her comfortingly. Masie joined them, wrapping her arms around them. Zia and Franklin stayed back, refusing to look at the animals or even acknowledge their pleas for help.

Max glanced between the two groups with wide eyes. "I can't be the only one hearing them, can I?" He thought. "They'd just let them die? After everything?"

Max stared at the floor, his hands clenching into fists. He looked up, and found Claire's eyes locked on him, seemingly begging for an apology. He would giver her nothing of the sort. He glared at her with a look that made her blood run cold. Then his head turned to the red button on the panel. He took a step toward it.

He barely made it that far before Claire's eyes widened in realisation and ran over, blocking his way. "Max, no!" Max put his hand on her shoulder and shoved her out of the way with ease. He stepped to the panel and tore the glass covering off the panel, but before he could press the button, Owen's hand darted out and grabbed his arm, twisting it around and pressing it against Max's back.