Rayleigh x Reader

[Here's a happier one- you're welcome.]

A hat slipped off of a head, flowing through the wind.

A man, grabbed the hat, and returned it to the lady like the gentleman he was.

"Thanks-" She murmured, a bead of sweat trickling down her temple.

"Its no problem." He said, and walked next to her as she strutted along.

"Well- I'm gonna go-" She was weary of men, of all kinds. She could never speak of what many did to her.

Under her long, white dress, lay scar upon scar, showcasing the horrors she went through as a woman. Being beautiful had its price.

He sensed her fear, and raised a hand, "i don't mean any harm to you."

She didn't relax, "how can I trust your word? Many lie these days."

"Because, I'm sincere, and I saved your hat- you have to believe that." He laughed, rubbing the back of his neck sheepishly.

Her hands found their way to her hair, twirling the shorter locks out of pure anxiety.

"Well, I suppose you may be right, saving my hat IS an extraordinary feat." She had gotten comfortable enough to joke, still walking along the sidewalk with the man.

"Well, care to join me for a drink? I know this bar, it's on the old side of town." He said, pointing his thumb in that direction.

She smiled, "sure, I was headed there anyways."

He couldn't help but break out into a smile.

"Well, pretty lady with a hat, let's get going." His arm linked with hers, he didn't do anything to drag her along, nothing, he just went at a slow pace she liked.

Even if he was itching to get a few drinks in his system.

....

Over the past week, the two had been going out to the same bar every day, whether it was to dance, to sing, to drink, or to hug. They relished in eachothers presence.

It was one day, when she didn't show up, when she didn't, he didn't think much about it.

It happened day, after day, after day.

No one showed up, and he began to grow tired.

He married another.

It wasn't his goal, but by that point, it had been too many years, the only thing he remembered- her touch, and that hat.

When a new set of wanted posters came in, he casually checked them, flicking through many.

Until...he saw that hat.

Everything rushed back to him as he stared at that photo, a lively smile on her face.

He smiled, tears pricking his eyes. It seemed she had started her life, while his was beginning to end.

Tonight, the music seemed so quiet, nothing to be heard as he stared at her wanted poster.

A woman entered the run down bar.

"Is..Shakky here?" She asked, her voice as delicate as silk.

Rayleigh turned his head, "im afra-" he paused.

It was her. That hat with the initials engraved on the brim.

"..Rayleigh?" She asked, beginning to step near.

He couldn't believe it, it was really you.

He stood up.

You smiled, "im sorry I up and left."

He walked over, his hand reaching for your chin.

The music began to bloom, and everything seemed happy.

Your arms wrapped around his neck, smiling up at him.

"Why were you gone?" He asked, and leaned his forehead against yours.

"I made a promise to one of the four emperors." You whispered, "Shanks. You might know him."

He chuckled, "that brat? Sure i do."

You giggled, and swayed around the room with him.

"Y/n.." he said, and caressed your cheek, leaning close.

You smiled, "yes?"

"I missed you."

"As did i."

He picked you up spun around just a bit, setting you down.

You smiled, and pressed a kiss to his lips, his surprise making you giggle.

He patted your head, "an old man really scored, didn't he?"

"Pf- I guess."

You hugged him, the familiar feeling of his arms being the best thing you could ever imagine. Honestly. Rayleigh felt the same way, it was just amazing how he felt whenever he took you to the dance floor.

Rayleigh- he really was an amazing person to be with.

He was your dance partner.