Hugs All Around

“Good luck.” Frankie said as she left the room. “Yeah, thanks.” Cody said. He hopped back down the hallway nervously. Hesitantly he knocked on his father’s bedroom door.

I hope this goes well.

“Come on in Cody.” Charlie said. Cody opened the door. Charlie was holding the letter and patted the spot on his bed next to him, telling him to sit down. After a moment Cody came to sit next to him. They sat together in silence. Cody was about to speak, but was interrupted by a heavy sigh from Charlie. “I’m sorry I- I’m just trying to gather my thoughts.” He said, pinching the bridge of his nose. “Okay.” Cody said softly.

Cody kicked his feet to distract himself and Charlie leaned forward with his chin resting on his clasped hands. After a minute or two, he finally broke the silence again. “For starters, well I wasn't expecting that so it scared me because I hadn’t thought about that. I was so concerned about your physical health after what happened that I forgot these things take a toll on your mental health too. I’m really glad you came to me even though it took you some time, and I apologize for not checking up on you.” He said.

Cody nodded. “It’s fine really. I just didn’t want you to worry about me more than you already did.” Cody explained. Charlie put his hand on Cody’s shoulder. “But I’m your father Cody, It’s my job to worry about you.” He said with a smile. Shaking him slightly. Cody smiled back. “Yeah, that’s true.” He admitted. “I’ll set you up a doctor's appointment for Thursday so we can start getting you some help.” Charlie said. “That sounds good.” Cody said. “Just know kiddo, I love you, I’m proud of you and I’ve always got your back. Okay?” He said. “Okay.” Cody said. “Bring it in son.” Charlie said. He wrapped his arms around Cody in a warm embrace, Cody rested his head comfortably on his shoulder. “Thanks dad.” Cody murmured. “Of course.” Charlie replied.

“What’s going on?” Dani asked from the doorway. Charlie looked at Cody, silently asking if he could tell her about it. Cody nodded in response. “Cody was telling me how he’s been struggling since the accident.” Charlie answered. “Oh no. Are you okay?” She asked. “Yeah, I’m fine right now.” Cody said. “Can I join in on the hug?” She asked. Cody rolled his eyes with a small smile. “Yeah, sure.” Cody said. She jumped on the bed beside him and gave him a hug as well. “Me too?” Graham asked, poking his head into the doorway. “Fine.” Cody said. “I’m not doing this.” Kade said. “Aw come on, please?” Cody said. Kade pouted. “Fine, whatever.” He said.

They all stayed close for a minute. Cody felt like a huge weight had been lifted off of his shoulders. Just being reminded that his family had his back was enough for one day. He broke out from the group hug first. “Thanks guys, I’m gonna go back to my room now.” Cody said. “Okay, see you later Cody.” Charlie said. “I’m gonna head out too.” Dani said.

Slowly the Burns family divided themselves throughout the house again. Cody laid down in his bed and played with his hair. Though it might be hard to talk about, he was looking forward to going to the doctor’s soon. Maybe soon enough he’d feel normal again. He sighed in relief and curled up under his covers. All that talking and crying had worn him out, even if he could have nightmares again, it would be worth it to try to sleep while he still felt okay.