Evening Smiles

Cody and Seojun bounded downstairs to the dinner table. Everyone else was already there. “Dad, what’s for dinner. I’m starving.” Kade said. “Spaghetti and meatballs.” Charlie said, stirring a pot on the stove. “Yes!” Kade whispered excitedly. “Is it any good?” Seojun asked discreetly. “It’s the best!” Cody replied. “Oh okay.” Seojun said.

Charlie and Dani served the food to everyone and sat down. Seojun poked at a meatball for a second and after a moment of skeptically examining it, he bit into one. His eyes popped open with surprise.

Cody was right, these are pretty good.

But now that his eyes were open, he realized that everyone at the table was looking at him. “What do you think?” Charlie asked. Seojun’s eyes darted around the room nervously. “Um, it’s good. I like it.” He said shyly. “I knew you would.” Cody said. Charlie sighed in relief.

Seojun felt really awkward now. Why was Cody’s family acting so weird around him? And why was his dad so concerned about what he thought about the meatballs? He was just trying to eat,

He watched quietly as Kade and Dani had a petty short argument, which Charlie resolved. He turned his eyes over to Graham. How’d him and his brother get together anyway and why? Sure, thinking about it was probably nosy, but how’d they have less hesitation than he did? This sucks, if he weren’t a fucking coward he might already be dating Cody by now. He shook his head at himself and got a second plate of spaghetti. It’s not cowardly to wait, neither of them were probably ready yet anyway. It was fine to wait a little bit.

“You’re real quiet. What are you thinking about?” Cody asked, leaning on the table. “Elbows off the table Cody.” Charlie said. “Sorry.” Cody replied. Seojun chuckled. “Eh, nothing much. I just kind of spaced out a little bit.” He said. “Just a little bit?” Cody asked with a mischievous smile. Seojun rolled his eyes at him. “Yes, just a little bit.” He said mimicking his grin. Cody squinted at him, still smiling, but in a less menacing way. “Sure.” He said, returning to his dinner. “Ugh, spaghetti and white shirts don’t mix.” Cody muttered. “If you wash it quick enough the stains might come out.” Seojun said. Cody shrugged. “We’ll see.” He said.

After a while Seojun and Cody were the only ones still eating. “Geez, save some for the rest of us.” Kade joked. “Shut up, where was that when we had that ultimate cheese pizza last year?” Cody asked. Seojun choked back a laugh, and Kade smiled. “Touché.” Kade replied.

At nine o’clock they turned on the TV and watched some random show to relax after dinner. Seojun and Cody sat next to each other on the couch. Cody leaned on his shoulder. Seojun couldn’t help but smile a little bit, but otherwise he contained his excitement.

“This show’s kinda boring. It’s making me kinda sleepy.” Cody said. “Yeah, nothing’s happening.” Seojun said. “And how many times are they gonna show us the kitchen in one episode?” Cody asked. “Why do they keep moving scenes every three minutes?” Seojun complained. “How many times are you guys gonna complain about something?” Graham asked. Seojun shrugged. “I dunno.” Cody said. He turned back to Seojun and continued.

“Why does that one girl’s hairstyle change every time the camera shows her?” He said. “Is that any different from you?” Seojun joked quiet enough for no one else to hear. Cody turned to him with his mouth wide open and Seojun burst out laughing. “Rude!” Cody said. Seojun just kept laughing. Cody smiled and shook his head at him.

Close to the end of the episode,the doorbell rang. Charlie got up to answer it. Kerchek stood in the doorway with his hands in his pockets. “Hey Mr. Burns.” He said. “Hello...uh?” Charlie asked. “Kerchek.” He said. “Kerchek, right. Sorry I forgot.” Charlie apologized. “It’s cool, we’ve only met like twice anyway.” He said. “Oh alright. Are you here to pick up Seojun?” Charlie asked.

“Yeah, his mom wants him to come on home since it’s getting late.” He said. “Okay, I’ll go get him.” Charlie said. He walked back into the living room. “Seojun, your brother’s here to get you.” Charlie said. “Okay.” Seojun replied. “Aw.” Cody said with disappointment. Seojun smiled and ruffled his hair. “See ya later Cody.” He said, following Charlie to the door. “Bye.” Cody said.

He stayed on the couch for a moment, until remembered the thing he was supposed to do.

Oh wait, shit.

He jumped off the couch and ran up to his bedroom. He snatched the loom bracelet he had made earlier off of his nightstand and ran back downstairs with it. He hadn’t planned on giving it to him, but he thought about it after he had told his story, he just figured it would look good on him.

“Cody where are you going?” Charlie asked him. “Just outside.” Cody said as he ran out of the door. He made it to the curb just as Seojun was about to shut the car door. “Hey, Seojun! Wait!” Cody said. Seojun turned to Kerchek for a moment and cracked the door open. He got out of the car and leaned against the frame. “What’s going on?” He asked. Cody stopped in front of him with his hand on his knees. “I wanted to give you this, I forgot about it earlier.” He said. He handed Seojun the bracelet. He looked at it with confusion. “What is it?” He asked.

"It's a bracelet.” Cody said. “Oh.” He put it on his wrist, it was actually a little too big for him, meaning it would probably fit right when he took off his compression patch. “You made it?” He asked. “Yeah.” Cody said. Seojun smiled, showing his fangs. “Thanks, it’s nice.” He said. Cody smiled back at him. “Thanks, it glows in the dark too.” He said, bouncing on the balls of his feet. “Cool.” He looked back at Kerchek. “I gotta get going now, I’ll see you later okay?” He said. “Okay.” Cody replied. Seojun slid into the passenger seat of the car and waved at him. “Bye.” He said. “Bye.” Cody replied, waving back at him as Kerchek drove away.

Seojun watched him walk back to the house in the rearview mirror until they turned a corner and they couldn’t see the firehouse anymore. He looked at the bracelet. It wasn't completely dark outside, but it still glowed a little bit.

Cute.

Kerchek smiled at him. “He obviously likes you.” He said. “You don’t know that, he could just be being nice.” Seojun replied. Kerchek rolled his eyes. “Oh please! I know friendly Ju-Ju, and that was definitely more than friendly.” He said. Seojun smiled at the thought of that. “Maybe.” He said softly. Even if he did, he didn’t want to rush into anything just yet. He wouldn’t even be sure what to say to him if he did try to confess his feelings. Plus, Cody was still on medical leave and all that.

He looked at the bracelet again and felt slightly soothed by it. Knowing that Cody thought of him.

Should I give him something too?