⊱---𝟏---⊰

The rough beats of rain repeatedly hitting the roof of the Wangshu inn played a melodic theme, the non-stopping drops of water soothing enough to put someone to sleep. The atmosphere was nothing less than tranquil with distant whispers filling the air from those residing within the inn to sleep the night, though being hyper focused on the much louder rain had eliminated the mumbling all together.

The furnished wooden chair that a particular resident had sat on was truly uncomfortable, how he would shift within it knowing the replica chair across from him was empty showing this discomfort.

The presence that would routinely make home in the seat across from him was blatantly absent, only making it more unbearable as each second passed. The boy's expression was nothing less than apathetic, a completely neutral default that told no emotion as to how he was feeling-- which internally was complete turmoil.

Disturbance, confusion, uncertainty.

All at once these emotions swirled within as he slowly passed the time by watching drops of rain that stuck to the glass pane slide down the window. He would watch them race and bet on which would reach the bottom first.

Adding to his growing pessimism, each drop he chose had lost.

His finger twitched in irritation as he moved to fix himself in a more comfortable position, his chair angled towards the window so he was able to lean his elbow on top of the windowsill and rest his cheek in the palm of his hand.

When he felt the tips of his fingers press against his skin, he couldn't help but think the leathery gloves on his hand felt so utterly restricting. The only reason he still had worn them in the first place was because he knew if she didn't walk into their shared room within the next hour, he would go right back out to search the ends of Liyue to find her.

He would only take them off when she returns, because then he wouldn't have to grip his polearm to subjugate those who are evil, but instead indulge in a moment to rest with the one he holds most dear aside from Rex Lapis himself.

After all, it was now just the two of them, and they had vowed to protect one another; so those same things that happened to their mutual companions many years back wouldn't reoccur.

'This is fine, she tends to return late.'

He reassured himself, although the convincing wasn't working in the slightest as he only continued to stare out the window for even a glimpse of her presence.

To be completely honest, almost every night he would have these same intrusive thoughts that she would never return. He should know by now that she always did, that she would walk in with an exhausted sigh before she perked up and spoke with the same sweet and velvety words that would pour from her lips, but he simply couldn't help it.

He cared too much at this point to lose her too-- since she was the only one he genuinely considered himself to be close to. After all, he wasn't one to interact with humans, actively avoiding them, while she was practically the polar opposite.

He thought it was an obligation; an obvious burden granted from his duties; she told him it was kindness. He was too kind for his own good. And maybe the fact he was so worried right now over her wellbeing was proof of that kindness, though he would never take time to decipher his own actions and instead chose to let these traits happen naturally.

The creak of a door opening snapped him completely out of his thoughts, the running insecurities circling through his head coming to pause as he turned just in time to hear the same exhausted sigh pass from the (H/C) haired girl's lips.

Sigh

"I'm back, Xiao." She spoke as she turned around and slid the door so it closed, a click resounding as it fastened in place to offer privacy.