⊱---𝟏𝟕---⊰

It's the night of August third, the night of the festival, and the night Draken is supposed to die. Hina coupled up with Takemichi and Emma coupled up with Draken as they explored the many stalls and stood under the warm lights playing games at the festival. The girls wore their elegant kimonos and wooden sandals and their hair was neatly tied up with gorgeous pins as they walked with soft smiles brightening their faces.

Everything was going well, the night being one that'll be fondly remembered, up until a point where everything will begin to go downhill. And the trigger was when it started to rain.

Droplets of water dropped from the dusky clouds and slapped the floor violently, painting everything a few shades darker. The air smelled suffocating as drop after drop surrounded [ Name ] and unsurprisingly landed on her body as she stood in the middle of the empty pathway.

Hair stuck to her face and water dripped to the crevices of her eyes before sliding down her cheek to replicate tears. The traditional clothes she borrowed from Hina clung to her body as her head hung low to look down at the ground in front of her.

[ Name ] stood all alone in the rain on this night that was supposed to be one filled with joy, the couples having gone their separate ways, leaving her alone. She appreciated the invitation in the first place, but she knew when she was third wheeling, so she had broken away from the group voluntarily— saying that she had plans when she really didn't.

She just felt that her energy was constantly being sapped out of her when she saw Takemichi and Hina laughing together and blushing freely. And for some reason, it made her really bitter. She could only link the feeling to jealousy. Not because she wanted to be in replacement of one of the two, but because she was envious she couldn't have what they did.

No matter how much she longed for it throughout the day, there would be no one to show up in fancy clothing to surprise her, to link arms with her and happily chat as they shared different festival foods, or to look at one another as fondly as the couples here did.

So to rid these negative thoughts, she excused herself from the group, using the excuse of having something to do.

[ Name ] continued to let the rain hit her without bothering to find cover, her arms hugging her body close as they wrapped under her chest while she lost herself in her thoughts. The fabric around her body felt heavy on her, sticking to her skin like soggy bandages.

The whole situation made her think about the conversation with Hina and Emma from a few days prior. Seeing the couples made the feelings she was burying for the sake of keeping face sprout up without mercy, twisting her expression into one of sorrow as she subconsciously bit down on her bottom lip and chewed on it.

'Will I ever even be able to see him again?' She thought, her heart stuttering out an unsure response as the thought passed that it was very likely she would never see him again.

She was having her doubts, and rightfully so. Night after night she would tirelessly slave away in this world to rid it of demons that were here for an unknown purpose. But was she slowly killing herself for nothing at all in the end? She would never have definite confirmation. And that's what worried her.

She hated how she could only think about the fact she left things unresolved because she didn't want to take initiative and make the first move.

She felt like a husk, empty without a purpose as she stood there with the rain only continuing to grow and nurture her pessimistic thoughts.

But alas, she did have a purpose. That purpose took its shape in a contract created over 2,700 years ago, one that devoted her time into protecting the weak from the cruel. And if that contract had to transfer from Teyvat to this world, so be it. She would follow it through, even if it left her with regrets and pain she would have to live with for as long as she lived here.