Chapter 26 - Chasing and Binding

Descendants of the Myth – Chapter 26

Chasing and Binding

Devon flew straight out as he carried his luggage.

And by luggage he meant Adrian, who continuously taunted Ladon, egging the dragon more. And Ladon, as if understanding Adrian's words, flew behind them just a few paces away. Below them was the reserve still. Devon didn't recall the place being this large before. But he supposed the Garden was.

"C'mon, you dragon! Is that the best that you got?" Adrian mocked Ladon, his palm directed at the beast. "You can't catch us, can you? Go on, fly faster!"

"Will you shut up?" Devon snapped. He might as well sound like the dragon—his voice growling with anger. "Stop it! I can barely keep up this fast pace already!"

The dragon probably thought that Devon was shouting at him, and flied even faster.

"Oh, great," Devon grumbled, as he tried to fly even faster. Good enough, at least, they flew an inch farther away from the dragon.

"You can let go of me if you're that angry," Adrian said, his light still bright and intact.

"What are you talking about? I thought you were mad at me," Devon replied. He knew it wasn't the best time and place to talk about this. But he was near death—and being near death was always the best time.

"I was," Adrian clarified, his hold slightly loosening. And his tone indicated how much he also thought that this conversation was crazy given that they were being chased by a mythological dragon. "You know I can't stay mad at you for long."

Devon rolled his eyes at that. "Don't think about letting go."

"Well, I'm being a burden!" Adrian said, "And we're not far from the reserve's borders. I can find my own way out."

Devon scoffed. "As if."

"Are you mocking me?" Adrian asked, his tone playful. He should not be doing this while in-flight. "You can always let me go. You're falling because of me! I can't let you fall."

I already have.

The thought involuntarily came into Devon's mind the minute Adrian released the last statement, his mind having conjured an underlying message underneath the completely innocent one.

"I won't," Devon thickly said, "We're staying together at this."

Maybe it was because of his heartfelt tone, and the sincerity that he released the way he said it, but Adrian looked at him with curiosity. It was obvious the demigod didn't expect what he said.

Devon glimpsed at his eyes. He almost forgot how green it was. It was lighter than the shade of the trees' leaves below. And it was sort of angelic.

The dragon ruined their moment when it roared, pushing them more when the dragon's breath hit them. Devon looked down and realized that they were past the border. He glimpsed backwards and noticed that the reserve still looked the same from the outside, except it was covered with haze.

So no one can know the change it had gotten under.

The first of the sun's rays hit Devon's face on the right. He flew faster even with the demigod beside him. People would be going out now—for school, for work. There were already a few cars below, but they made no move to notice it.

"Ad, get its attention," Devon ordered, "It could get distracted by below."

Maybe because they were passing by the Jenkins's household, and maybe it was because of the need to protect his mom and his brother that made Adrian cast a huge glowing ball of light and hit the dragon with it.