Chapter 23 - A Protector's Call

Chapter 23 - A Protector's Call

Devon had a bad feeling about this.

In fact, he felt it ever since they entered this place. Beads of sweat rolled from his forehead despite the cold atmosphere, and for the first time in his life, the darkness around them made his stomach drop in unease.

He tried to at least distract himself that he was walking here again with Adrian, who held his right palm outwards like a flashlight. The demigod had his lips pressed tight, as he remained looking forward. He didn't look any better than he did, with sweat rolling off from his temples as they walked towards the stone path that was surrounded by different native plants.

Having been on the place for more than once after his birthday, it was on instinct that Devon made a move to turn right, utterly knowing that it was a complete right turn over there.

But something stopped him on his tracks.

"What's up?" Adrian asked him. They all stopped as Devon stared at the ground in complete shock.

"There's something wrong here," Devon said. He grabbed Adrian's lit up hand and pointed it to the ground, where grass was growing and there was no cobblestone path where he used to walk on. He pointed Adrian's palm forward again, much to the demigod's displeasure of probably having his hand used as a convenient flashlight, but Devon didn't mind him and saw that the path instead moved forwards.

"D, what's wrong?" Adrian asked him.

"Those are supposed to be hedges," Devon said, gesturing the road forward where the hedges are supposed to be, "This should be a right turn at this spot."

"This place is changed," Adrian continued as he also moved his light around, as if he was beginning to recall what the place looked like.

"Then, we need to keep moving forward," Finnian said, "They're leading us somewhere."

"What if it's a trap?" Cora asked.

Finnian was silent for a moment. "Then, we need to be ready."

There was no argument that broke through after that, as they all began walking again. And this time, Devon tried to be surer of himself. His own anxiety wasn't helping anyone in their crew.

He didn't understand why he was this nervous. He was fine with fighting whatever was out there in the fog. But then, why did he seem so afraid? Why was he so damn nervous about this entire thing? Why did he feel like there's something inside him that was tugging him? Telling him to do something more?

He wasn't supposed to just stand there. He needed to act.

After a few minutes of walking silently, Adrian pointed at something in the fog with his other hand. "There," he pointed at his left, where there was something in that glinted in the mist. Devon winced at Adrian's action, as something literally tugged at his chest.

The action was not missed by Adrian, who looked at him weirdly.

Devon avoided his gaze and turned to Finnian, who immediately nodded at him for a go, not knowing the small interaction between Devon and Adrian. Stretching his hand outward towards the glint, Devon released a wave of telekinetic force from his palm towards it, clearing the fog away from the point of light.

A new path made of stone was revealed. And at the end of the new path, was a small circular stone formation that was surrounded by grass that held a shield.

Sir Galahad's shield.

Without a word, they went towards it, knowing it would be the next plausible move. And the more he neared towards the weapon, Devon realized how battered it looked. It was dented, and was slightly discolored. A huge fading red cross made of paint was the symbol painted on it.