Prologue

Prologue

Devon had always been hunted.

He didn't know why, nor did he know how the monsters even catch up to him in the first place over and over again, but ever since that night in his old home, the monsters never stopped getting to him.

The mark on his upper left arm, on the point where his bicep met his shoulder, burned painfully. The plain black mark shone brightly tonight. It was a tattoo of a flying raven, which held a black rose on both of its talons, the symbols of his patron, Nyx, the Primordial goddess of the night.

The garbage bin crashing nearby made him jump back to attention. He slipped away from his hiding spot behind a thick lamp post and made his way to a dark alley. He would blend better there, he thought.

It was a real quiet night that time. The streets were empty, and the only sound heard were the hoots of the owls.

But just as Devon entered the dark alley, a loud, rough sound made him freeze on his spot.

"There he is!"

Devon looked back to the road, where a creature with one eye - a Cyclops, was already approaching him.

"Fuck," he cursed, quickly running to the dark alley where he was really going.

The little quakes on the ground indicated that  the Cyclops, and maybe a few more monsters were just behind him.

He continued towards the dark alley, sharply turning left, and then stopped when a huge wall blocked his way.

A dead end.

And it looked like a dead man was going to be there later.

A rough laugh came from behind him. Devon turned around, seeing three cyclopes in front of him, holding clubs that were probably his size.

He took a small step backwards, feeling the heel of his right foot hit the wall behind him.

Well, fuck. He was going to die now.

The middle cyclops smirked, showing off its disgusting yellow teeth. Even the cyclops knew that Devon was about to die.

Devon looked around him, trying to see if there was anything that he could use to his advantage. He saw a large rake behind one of the cyclops. And a garbage bin behind the other one.

Devon's lips bent in a small smirk, his fists clenching. His gaze moved towards the two items behind the monsters, and felt the familiar small tugs on both of his hands.

And instantly, both the rake and the garbage bin flew up in the air and hit both the cyclopes. The rake hit the back of the head of one of the cyclops, the blades digging into the head of the monster before it disintegrated.

The garbage bin hit the other cyclops, and then its contents scattered on the ground. A banana peel fell on the concrete floor, and just before the middle cyclops attacked him, Devon moved the banana peel on the monter's way, who apparently didn't notice it, and dumbly slipped.

Devon smirked, seeing the remaining cyclopes groaning. He opened a portal on the wall, moving towards it as it closed.

It reopened on the empty streets, just beside the dark alley where he was a few moments earlier. Devon smirked triumphantly, and then quickly sprinted away.

His victory was short lived, however, as a hellhound appeared on his way, putting him into a grinding halt as the hellhound lunged towards him.

Devon raised his hand, the same time a black hole appeared in the air where the hellhound slipped into, reappearing a few meters behind him, confused.