Chapter 7 - The Meeting

Another set of loud cheers from their stands broke Devon's reverie that day.

Beside him, Adrian was the loudest to cheer because as it turned out, his twin was the one who shot another three-point score.

Devon rolled his eyes at that. What else was new?

He scrunched his nose up in disgust as another student beside him suddenly stood up, his entire hand up as he cheered for their team.

"Look, I know you're not comfortable with this entire place," Adrian almost shouted in his ear, "But could you at least watch the game and look like you're having fun?"

Devon once again rolled his eyes. "Hey, you pulled me to this court. And it's kind of hard to when you can practically see the body odor of the one beside you."

Adrian pulled back and made a motion to smell himself, making Devon laugh amidst the roar that once again erupted from their stands.

"Not you, you idiot," he said, smiling. And then, looking at the guy beside him with a glare, he added in a shout, "This guy."

Adrian slapped his arm playfully, looking at him as if to say: shut up!

But Devon shrugged. "He didn't even hear me. And if he did, he should be glad that at least someone had the guts to be honest."

Adrian sighed, looking defeated at his snarky remark. But this was gone as soon as another cheer came from their stands, and one look at the scoreboard, Adrian went with them too.

Devon stood up, looked at the scoreboard, then to the players, and then back to Adrian, who was still cheering loudly. He frowned.

He didn't understand a damn thing about this sport.

"What's going on?" Devon asked his best friend.

"Aldrin scored three again!" Adrian replied delightedly. And then he did a small double take and looked at Devon with a smirk. "Well, now you look interested."

"I'm not. I just look so out-of-place here if I continue being quiet," Devon replied.

He knew Ad was about to give him a guilty look, so he glared and quickly looked away. "So, what's the score?"

He heard Ad sigh first before he said, "80-83. The score favors us."

"Meaning?"

"We have a higher score, D," Adrian clarified. And without looking at him, Devon knew he was smirking. "Stupid."

"I don't get this game," Devon said, "You shoot a ball and you score. And then, everyone cheers for you. I shoot crumpled papers in the bin every Physics class, how come no one cheers for me there?"

Adrian sighed again. "Don't go pretending you're an idiot, D."

"Well, you did just mention my stupidity,"  Devon said, snickering.

"Yes, I did," Adrian said, "Now-"

A huge roar from their stands cut him off. And from behind them, students began going down the stands to the floor, where they greeted their school's players.

The student beside Devon might as well fly down to the floor while he shouted: "We won, dude! We won!"

Devon wondered how he could cover his nose and ears at the same time.

"Oh, come on!" Adrian whined, "I didn't even get to see the winning shot!"

Devon rolled his eyes. "Oh, quit pouting. We both know for a fact that it's still your twin who managed to do that."