Chapter 27 - Five Day Delay

Aldrin's days were free.

Which was so unlike the rest now that he looked at it.

His twin technically was, too. But Adrian chose to spend his remaining time with their classmates, specifically Bea, who he heard was on a rocky...friendship with his twin.

Ha, friendship his bright ass.

Meanwhile, Devon frequently visited Sef in the infirmary every week—Aldrin would know, because he too would sometimes spend some of his time there to check on the still-asleep Egyptian. Sef had been laying there since he was brought back from Earth, which was around five days ago—Aldrin didn't know, since it was practically impossible to know the time on the ever-dark exterior—but Aldrin was at least glad that Sef finally retained some of his color. Because honestly, a pale man with kohl underneath his eyes was some creepy sight.

But after those times, Devon would be down at the headquarters, where Cora and Finnian frequently hung out. Honestly, those three were impossible to be let out there unless it was for a meal—but he didn't want to interfere, those three meant business down there.

And also, interfering may mean that you either eat Finnian's scythe, or Cora would shove down her electric axe on your throat.

So, instead, Aldrin decided to move to the lobby, bored as he watched the stars and heavenly bodies free-floating around. It was both a miracle and a wonder why none of it hit them yet, but he was fine with that. At the same time, it was also something to marvel that he was curious about these things too.

Oh, the things boredom offers.

"May I take a seat here?" came a voice across him.

Aldrin's answer wasn't exactly necessary, seeing as Finnian had already pulled a seat across him as he drank from a warm cup of coffee across him.

"You're out today," Aldrin absentmindedly commented, trying to start the conversation. He and Finnian had never really talked with just the two of them before.

The older demigod released a small chuckle. "Yeah, being down there is a little...suffocating."

"Is Haven being a pain in the ass again?" Aldrin asked, an eyebrow raised.

"Sort of," Finnian admitted, "He just won't listen to any theory that we have about Sir Galahad's whereabouts. Cora was near strangling him right before I left."

Aldrin raised an eyebrow. "And you left because?"

"Because I know I'll only end up stopping her when she finally does..." Finnian confessed with a shrug, "I just wish he would lay off, you know? Back the hell away because it's our business to deal with."

"Well, he is the boss of one of those stupid departments here," Aldrin pointed out, "It's like his sideline job to be an arrogant asshole because of it."

"Yeah, well I'm the boss in our group too. You don't see me around announcing it to this entire place, do you?" Finnian countered.

"Wait, who said you're the leader?" Aldrin asked, his eyebrow raising at Finnian's horrified look.

"Wait—I, I just thought—"

Aldrin cut him off with a laugh. "Damn, man, chill. I'm joking. I have no absolute complaints over that. As long as you know your thing, I'm fine with it."

Finnian released a small shaky breath as he slumped back on his chair with relief. "Sorry. I just thought that since you were the basketball captain of your team before—and also a leader...well...I thought you would assume leadership."