Chapter 14 - Knowing Thyself (Including Thy Neighbor)

Chapter 14 - Knowing Thyself (Including Thy Neighbor)

It was an awkward silence on the table while they all waited for Lionel.

"So..." Aldrin began, breaking the awkward silence, "I'm Aldrin. Aldrin Jenkins. Handsome. Basketball captain. And apparently, son of Apollo."

Silence greeted Aldrin's statement. But apparently, that didn't stop his Apollo-like obnoxiousness when he turned to Cora, who was already looking at him weirdly, just like the rest on the table.

"And I'm taken, by the way," he told Cora, "So, I'm not really available."

Sef released a loud laugh that filled the entire empty room, which was immediately joined by Finnian's snickers. Adrian sighed, disappointed, as he pressed the bridge of his nose with his thumb and index finger. And without reading Adrian's mind, Devon knew that he was already shunning his twin in his head.

Only Cora didn't look impressed. And instead, she looked like she wanted to strike Aldrin with a thunderbolt right on the spot.

Devon found himself smiling despite this, though. At least Aldrin was making a nice impression to most of them. He leaned back comfortably on his seat. At the first chair to the right of the middle seat on a horseshoe-shaped table. The middle seat was empty, and was supposed to be occupied by Lionel, who was currently missing in action.

"Well, I'm Sef Amer Kosey," Sef introduced himself right after, "A waiter in Texas a few days before. Egyptian. Son of Seth."

Aldrin frowned towards Sef. "Who?"

Sef smiled. "Seth, Egyptian god of storm, desert, chaos, and war."

"Ah," Aldrin leaned back on his seat, "That's though."

Sef released a small laugh. "Wait, 'til you hear his background," he said, pointing towards Finnian.

Finnian raised his arms up, grinning. "Hey, don't point at me!" he said, "I'm simply Finnian Moses Grey. And...a son of a succubus."

Aldrin looked blankly at his twin, who sat beside him, who was beside Devon.

"You go talk to them," he said, "You're the brains in our tandem."

Adrian rolled his eyes at his twin's statement, but nevertheless was grinning.

"A succubus is a dream creature," he said, shrugging, "At least, that's what I know."

"You don't really talk, do you?" Sef inquired, leaning forward from his seat.

Devon looked at Adrian with a frown. Sef was right, Adrian was getting too quiet for his liking. He desperately wanted to read his best friend's mind right now to know what was going on in it, but that was against his own personal rules.

Adrian wasn't like this before. He wanted to hear his best friend talking again. Since if he was the brains in him and his twin's tandem, he was the talker in their friendship. And that was how they both began being friends in the first place.

Was this entire thing affecting him so much?

"But they're more than dream creatures," Finnian broke off through Devon's reverie, and at the same time ignoring Sef's inquisition, "Succubus are female demons who are awake every night to feed on lust. Different people—or gods—every night. And if they stay with the same person in more than one night, they could kill their host."

"Ah," Adrian suddenly muttered, "So, that's where the old stories came from," he said.

"Why?" Aldrin asked.