Chapter 21 - Future, Future, on the Table

Chapter 21 - Future, Future, on the Table

Devon still hadn't woken up.

And it worried Adrian to the core.

The telepath was lying peacefully on the bed at the infirmary, and not once did Adrian see those eyes open or even flutter.

"He's going to wake up," Aldrin said, who sat beside him. He placed a hand on top of Adrian's shoulder, a gesture he appreciated well.

But still, it didn't remove the doubt Adrian had. "Will he?" he found himself blurting out, "Lionel said that was the first time he'd seen D that way."

"He's an Oracle, Adrian," Finnian said, "It's his duty to spew out prophecies."

The rest of the Descendants were with them at the infirmary. Apparently, despite the few hours they had spent together, they felt close enough to his best friend that they'd stay with him throughout the night. Felicia and Lionel would have, too. But both had left earlier because of their duties.

"Was that what it was earlier?" Adrian doubted, "A prophecy?"

Finnian nodded. "I've read about Oracles before, and that's what they usually do. They are the voices, the eyes of other higher beings."

"Well, surely that higher being last night wasn't me," A woman's voice entered their conversation.

"What the—" Sef fell from his bed beside Devon in a small oof, as he exclaimed, "Shit, your energy is..."

The Egyptian trailed off, and ended up staring at the woman in front of them. Adrian was sure that this woman wasn't just another creature from another random universe.

No, because this woman was a goddess.

She wore a black leather coat that reached her ankles, and beneath that, she wore a black skin tight suit that contrasted her pale skin. She had slightly sharp features, with bright blue eyes and curly dark hair.

Her lips were curved into a small smirk. And Adrian thought that she looked like a rip-off from a Matrix movie.

Lionel appeared behind the goddess, and turned to look at everyone's confused faces.

"Everyone," Lionel announced, "I would like you all to meet Lady Nyx, Greek goddess of the night, and Devon's patron."

Finnian was the first to kneel at the woman, and Adrian and the rest followed what he did. She was a goddess, after all. She could probably turn them into an owl if she wanted to.

Unlike Apollo, she didn't look like a laid-back deity.

She ignored them, and instead her eyes moved to Devon's sleeping form beside Adrian. The smirk on her lips disappeared, and was replaced by an unreadable expression as she strode towards the human.

She put her hand on Devon's forehead. It made Adrian's fists clench on apprehension. He didn't know what this woman could do to his best friend.

She took a small deep breath. "He's going to be fine," she said, and the goddess said it with so much assurance that Adrian couldn't help but believe her.

She turned towards Finnian. "What did you see in the Dream Realm?"

Finnian seemed surprised that she was addressed by the goddess. But he seemed to recover from his shock and explained to Lady Nyx in full detail what he saw in the realm.

Adrian was grateful that they were still kneeling. And that no one seemed to see the reaction he was having at what Finnian was saying. D was stuck in trouble last night, in a place he had access to but he can't.