Chapter 22 - Back to Where We Once Belonged

Chapter 22 - Back to Where We Once Belonged

A sudden jolt inside Finnian jerked inside him.           

He knew he wasn't the only one who felt it, seeing as everyone else shuddered uncomfortably as well.

"What was that?" Devon asked, rubbing small circles on his chest uncomfortably.

"That's the bond," Lady Nyx told him, "It will help you connect with other Descendants. And further...enhance your relationship with them."

"Which means?" Devon pressed, unsatisfied.

The same glint came back on Lady Nyx's eyes, speaking of utter mischief. "You'll see its effects. For now, Galahad's status is what we need to focus on."

 "I still don't know who he is," Sef said, "I've never heard of him before."

"We did," Aldrin said, "In an English Lit. class where I was sure I slept in during the entire time."

"It doesn't matter if you know him or not," Lionel intercepted the conversation, "We need to rescue him. Remember when we told you that you were meant to be grouped by someone? It was supposed to be him. It had been days since we lost contact. And he was supposed to contact us every day. This is the first sign of his presence that we've got, we need to take it."

Finnian felt a sudden hope rise in his chest. He thought he was the oldest one, considering his age and all. But to know someone older?

He might know something, Finnian concluded. He might know something about the past—his past. They were probably the only two Descendants before. Surely, Sir Galahad would be drawn to him the way he was naturally drawn towards Cora, Sef, and the rest?

"All of us have to go?" Devon asked, "What if it's a trap?"

"We hope not," Lionel said, "But we couldn't risk the legendary knight to be in a situation where he could be dying. He has news of what could be going on right now. News we might not know yet."

"But could some of them stay?" Haven suddenly asked behind Lionel loudly. "I've got some new intel here that could be—"

"Where is the place anyway?" Aldrin interrupted. Finnian didn't understand the guy's dislike over Haven, but he felt it ever since their training yesterday. Did the guy do something? Say something? Speaking from experience—having his secret exposed and all—Haven definitely didn't have a filter on his mouth and could potentially offend somebody. He sounded naturally brutal, and had a tone like he didn't have a care in the world.

Haven glared at him for having been interrupted, but he responded nonetheless. "24th street in Downtown Cali—"

"That's a few blocks away from our house," Adrian suddenly said, as worry entered his tone.

"We're going," Aldrin said from behind him, putting a hand on Adrian's shoulder.

"I'm going, too," Devon's said, "My energy's back. And I can fight."

Not planning on being left out, Finnian immediately said, "Me too. I'm going with them." He had a lot of questions for the oldest Descendant that he hoped would be answered. He needed to grab this opportunity. The knight himself might know his father.

"Wait, this thing is action, I can't miss this!" Sef excitedly said. Beside him, Cora frowned.

"Does that mean I'm going to stay?" she turned to Haven, and then her frown deepened. "No way am I staying with the geek."

"Oh, you do like us!" Aldrin immediately cooed, followed by laughs from the others.

"This is not some game, everyone," Lionel said, "You could be facing anything this time."