Chapter 13 - Orphanage of Bitterness

Chapter 13 - Orphanage of Bitterness

The Council of Souls was exactly the way it was before Devon left.

Physically, it was beautiful. The minute he exited the hallway, he felt nostalgia as he took in his surroundings again. The same silver walls, decorated by ancient characters—both people and letters. Hieroglyphics decorated the walls, where Devon heard Sef awe at in his head. Babylonian symbols that were believed to be only found on old stone tablets were painted on one side.

Expensive chandeliers hung from the ceiling. Decorating it with pure extravagance and provided correct lighting in the place, giving it a homey feeling to its visitors. The floor was filled with the same amount of luxury with the ceiling and walls. It was tiled, and reflected all of them as they walked towards the lobby of the building.

Devon didn't feel comfortable leading everyone in the middle of the lobby. Greg and the other Guards of the Council had left them when they exited the narrow hallway, and Devon was left with the wondering stares men and women who sat down on the couches around them. And it felt like they were judging him, telling him that he didn't belong there with just their eyes.

"Why do I feel sleep lingering around the corner?" Finnian asked from his right in a whispered voice.

"Because Apollo forgot to tell this place to expect us," Devon replied with a frown.

"And so?" Finnian pressed, not getting the connection.

"That's the power of this universe," Devon replied, "If the Mortal universe can affect mindsets, this universe puts uninvited people to sleep."

"And that includes us?" Finnian muttered.                          

"Yes," Devon answered. His eyes remained staring ahead, towards a woman who stood behind the counter. "Do you mind putting a shield around our minds to prevent the sleep? Even for just the six of us? The others might not want to see what would enfold next."

"What would enfold next?" Adrian suddenly cut in, apparently listening to their conversation. He sounded alert, like the air of sleep around them didn't affect his system at all.

"You'd see," Devon muttered. He turned subtly towards Finnian, nodding at him to go on with the plan.

Suddenly, Devon suddenly felt a bubble surround his mind. It was invisible, but he felt its presence. Cora and the rest of them felt the same, especially when Devon felt the sudden, millisecond pause they did from walking before continuing. But luckily they didn't ask what it was about. There was no time to explain.

They stopped in front of the counter, and Devon recognized Felicia on the counter. She was a vampire, which was proven by the fangs that showed up in her teeth when she smiled when she recognized him too.

"Dev!" Felicia declared, her plain red eyes lighting up as bright as her hair did when she saw him. She ran away from her spot behind the counter, going up front and hugging Devon tightly. "It's been years!"

Devon felt a smile crept on his face. Despite this place being an orphanage of bitterness for him, selected people like Felicia made him feel wanted in this place.

"Hey, Fely," Devon said, putting his arms around her back. He pulled away after a while, sharing a grin. "I didn't know you worked here now."

"Well, you never called so I can't update you!" Fely replied, "And I didn't know where the Hell you were!"

"I got busy." Devon smirked. "And where's Aaron? Shouldn't he be here with you working?"

Fely's smile faltered for a moment. "He died just a few months ago on a mission."