Chapter 39 - Getting Videogame-d

Chapter 39 – Getting Videogame-d

Dexter was not happy.

Not that he knew the very meaning of the word, mind anyone.

The minute the three of them—him, Adrian, and Finnian—teleported out of the cage they were in, everything went quiet. So quiet.

The Jotuns, as Aleisha referred, disappeared in a flash. And they were once again left inside the cold hollow room that was only lit by torches. The walls were made of bricks now that Dexter could look closely, the ground made of pure cement that was smooth as the tiles in the Council.

The roof was made of rocks too, but they were too high for Dexter to even see. The only indication that there was something above was the chain that was hung from somewhere up there that held their cage—or now, maybe, Sir Galahad's resting place.

Maybe they could be back here one day. Give him the proper burial rites and all that stuff.

But that was if, a major if, they could make it out of here alive.

There was always the option of joining Sir Galahad down his grave.

"I feel like we're being played," Aldrin said. Oddly enough, the guy was pretty smart when it comes to these situations.

"Those were the weakest Jotuns I've ever fought," Aleisha agreed, but she was panting. "Their number was overwhelming—but it felt like they just handed out our weapons back and fought us just because we were there."

Dexter noticed the way Aleisha's voice changed. It felt more...carefree. It was guarded, sure. But the usual edge on her tone dissipated.

"It feels like we're being played," Adam voiced out.

"Dude, I just said that."

"Remember what Loki said? 'See you on the other side'?"

"So, he's expecting us, then," Dexter said, finally catching up to what Loki said. And also his breath. He didn't know how constricted his lungs felt when they were inside that literal coffin.

Adam shrugged. "Maybe."

"Why don't we all take a rest?" Finnian suggested, "If Loki's expecting us, he might have some traps prepared."

Dexter turned to the guy, hearing how much of a good leader Finnian really sounded despite all that just went down earlier. He couldn't help but notice how disappointed he sounded now, though. He couldn't blame him. After all, instead of solving his daddy issues after meeting Galahad, it felt like the guy only passed the torch of all the Descendant-related problems to Finnian.

In short, Finnian was now their official leader.

And like that was supposed to make Finnian feel excited. Honestly, leading a band of a rogue oracle, twins who has the same daddy issues, a girl who steals apples for a living, and an Egyptian who was on his way to questioning his entire purpose in his universe was not exactly his idea of an ideal team.

In fact, Dexter was surprised that Finnian didn't strike himself with his scythe and lived happily ever after inside the make shift-coffin Adam technically architecture-d for Sir Galahad.

If Dexter was in his position, he might've smacked the guy with the Holy Grail he was famous of.

One does not just pass burden like that before dying on someone. It's like saying you have a millions of golden drachmas hidden somewhere and then dying before you could even say where it was.

"Sure," Dexter finally agreed, feeling slight pity for what the guy is currently under.

Adrian slumped immediately after his last word. It was like the guy was even waiting for permission to do so. Typical Adrian.