Chapter 34 - Warning: Serpent Undercover

Chapter 34 – Warning: Serpent Undercover

Aldrin felt fear as they ventured towards the dark tunnel.

"Are we sure of where we're going?" The demigod asked the Valkyrie beside him, frowning as she just remained stoic as she looked around them.

"There's something wrong here," Cora replied, as a shard of rock that was hanging from the ceiling flow cracked and fell on the rocky floor, immediately followed by a huge flames that appeared like a geyser, only upside down.

It was a miracle that Halvard the Berserker wasn't burying a hole deeper into the ground yet, but what could Aldrin say? Who would want to bury themselves more in Tartarus?

Not Aldrin, certainly.

They were currently venturing a deep cave underneath the prison itself. Its walls, floors and ceilings were made of pure rocks. Lava flowed at some parts, while some dripped down from the cave's ceiling like a broken faucet. Those rocks Aldrin recalled in Physics class as stalagmites and stalactites were scattered all around the area, and were all sharp enough to impale one of them if they weren't careful with their steps.

It was a huge place, and was literally designed as a maze. There were a bunch of pathways that led who-knows-where, and that was not the hardest part of it, it was hotter below. The air was drier, and Aldrin could sure feel the sweat now underneath the hoodie he was wearing. Not to mention, he was wearing sleeveless. Cora, as he could see, had already took off her cape and wrapped it around her waist, whereas for the skin-tight sleeves, it was even rolled up even higher on her arms, exposing her milk-white skin.

Not that Aldrin was supposed to notice that too.

Cora's axe that glowed bright blue of electricity was the only source of light that they had, if one would like to consider the bright orange lava and flames as source of light, then so be it. But Aldrin was leaning more into Cora's electricity.

They once again stopped at another intersection. There was a pathway that lead to their right, left, and a path that urged them to go forward. Halvard took a few steps forward in a dog-like manner and began sniffing its way towards the corridor, growling at the right path before it went that way.

Aldrin and Cora both followed Halvard, with the Greek demigod wondering if he should even trust a man-dog when he was underneath a cave. He was just getting over of his small claustrophobia, after all.

But Cora seemed to trust Halvard.

And for some odd reason Aldrin did not understand, he trusted Cora.

She was always the one to save his ass every time he went self-destructive by blacking out, even though her way was a little out-of-the-box instead of the mainstream manner.

But still, there was something wrong with the way Halvard moved. Aldrin couldn't point it out, but there was something that was tugging in his gut about the creature. It was different from the nervousness and slight claustrophobia thing. It was the same feeling when you can't remember the right word for something, like it's on the edge of your tongue, like it's under your nose the whole time and you just don't know or see it yet.

Aldrin felt that way to Halvard. It was like the man-dog was something else, and there was something Aldrin doesn't know about him but can't point it out yet.

And it was beginning to fucking frustrate him.

"Are we sure we can trust Halvard?" Aldrin asked Cora, frowning when the Berserker in front of them took a few cowardly steps backward from a puddle of fire before it went forward.