12: Pendant

"Tomorrow is Mr. Kim's son's birthday, right?" The blond boy asks, eating the tteokbokki that his mother had prepared for lunch.

"Yes, it is. Why?" She questions as she digs into her own plate.

"Nothing... you'll probably be really busy today and tomorrow then."

"Yeah most likely. Are you sure you have nothing to tell me?" She asks with furrowed eyebrows.

"I'll be in my room," he says without replying to his mother's question, quickly making his way up to his room after cleaning his plate. 

As soon as he steps in, he begins to pace around, his thumb inside his mouth as he chews on it nervously. Memories of the previous day kept coming back. The pink-haired boy giving his necklace back, him stupidly hugging his, both of their wide eyes after they separated, how the other male had stuttered for the first time since they met, the awkward and silent drive back to the mansion, and no goodbyes as they separated ways.

Of course, along with that, he questioned why the boy had given the precious jewelry back to him but due to his mistake was unable to ask the question. He couldn't talk to him at all the previous day so there was no time to ask whether he still had to pay along with other questions he had. 'Maybe he isn't that bad' he had thought and he stood by that currently. Jake was right, the other wasn't a bad person he really was just someone that had been influenced wrongly for the past years.

Now, the reason he was pacing around is that he was in a dilemma. It's the boy's birthday the next day and he felt the need to pay his forgiveness back. He didn't even know the boy's name yet his kind demeanor knew that if he didn't somehow pay back it would haunt him for a long time. It's just a birthday gift, not a big deal, it'll be in a huge pile of other gifts. His will basically be invisible in the ton of other great, expensive gifts. What can he even get that boy? He doesn't know him...

As soon as he made his mind up about getting the gift, he speeds to his mom's room. He knocks lightly and when he receives a "Come in" he turns on the knob revealing his mom who was sitting on her bed, reading a book. As soon as she turns her head up and her eyes were on him he says, "Mom, can I go to the mall? Jake-Hyung told me where it was when we went to get groceries. It's not so far away," he pleads with puppy eyes.

She sighs, "Riki, you got lost the last time."

"That's because Han River is far! I swear that I'll be okay and if not, there are many resources I can use. I'm fifteen mom, I won't simply get lost," he explains with a boxy smile. 

"If I get a call from you like the last time, this will be the last time that you go out alone."

"Okay! Thanks mama!" He runs to give her a quick peck on the cheek before walking out of the room, down the stairs, and after ensuring that his phone and wallet were in his pockets he heads out.

~

He was at the mall and there was only one thought in his head: What the hell could he get him?

He was a rich boy, he probably had everything that he wanted and needed. 'It's too difficult,' he thought as he passed by all the stores. Clothes? The boy had many and all of them of luxury brands, he could never buy him something less than 100,000 won(around one hundred dollars), or else he would be embarrassed. Games? That is what teens in this decade normally wanted the most but what type of games could the boy want? Does he even enjoy them? There are some people that don't... Shoes? Again, same reason as clothes, he has a lot of those that are most likely luxurious brands, he would just be humiliated.

He groans, he didn't think this through.

He stops by an ice cream parlor, his eyes lighting up in joy when he sees the small store, deciding to buy himself some vanilla ice cream before continuing his search. He walks slowly down the noncrowded mall in deep thoughts as he grabs spoon after spoon of the cold treat. 

He stops for a second to lean his head back on the nearest wall exasperatedly. People passing by gave him weird look which he didn't mind. He brings his head down, looking straight ahead blankly as he was thinking of just giving up. The rich boy didn't need that gift from him after all, he would get other hundred gifts from the other people at the party anyway. People that could offer way better things than he can.

Soon, in the middle of his infinite thoughts, something caught his eyes in the store in front of him. It was a pendant displayed in the window of a jewelry store, even if he knew that it would be expensive he walked there. He bows down to the store owner before looking at what had caught his attention. It was simple and it looked cheap, he bit his lip. There was something that was driving his attention towards him. Maybe the fact that as soon as he spotted the object, it brought the image of the pink-haired into his mind. It seemed to just suit him.

Without any more thinking, he walked to the cashier and paid 50,000 won (around 50 dollars)for it

Without any more thinking, he walked to the cashier and paid 50,000 won (around 50 dollars)for it. It was placed in a blue velvet plastic box, not like the blue velvet jewelry box that the other had given him but he didn't think of it as he was finally satisfied.