39: Communication is key

The seating arrangement was not ideal. Not at all.

As Heeseung dictated for everyone to sit next to their roommate, Ni-Ki found himself rolling his eyes, masking his true emotions as he sat on a seat, and soon enough the other male followed. He instantly leans his head on the window as Heeseung spoke, listening in but looking out regardless.

They would be using a public transportation bus to get to their destination so Heeseung wanted everyone to have a partner, so they looked out for each other.

Apparently, the ride to the hotel close to the stadium is 2 hours away. Great. Fantastic.

Looking for some positivity in himself, he reasoned that sitting next to Sunoo for two hours would help him to get past the next three nights and three days. He could just stay out of his room, he reasoned. Maybe his friends would find some compassion in themselves and let him sleep in their room. He thought, looking outside mindfully as the bus started to move.

He clutches his handbag tightly, leaving the urge to glance at Sunoo's reaction and rather closing his eyes in hopes of falling asleep.

"Sorry, sorry," he hears someone mumble making him curiously open his eyes and lookup.

A female was passing by the small, secluded aisle, their hands full with at least three full bags in hand and a full backpack on their back. He continued to watch curiously and in amusement as the person hit multiple people on the way until they were passing by the place he was sitting. Sunoo was also watching, he noted. In fact, most people on the bus were, all of them leaning to the side and shooting some nasty looks at the female.

When it came for the person to walk through their area, he didn't mind much of it, having already been prepared and the fact that he was on the window side helping. However, the bag seemed to almost touch the silver head making him turn his head over in Ni-Ki's direction. Both of their breaths hitch when their faces were centimeters apart. Though, as soon as it happened it ended when the younger turns his head towards the other side, his cheeks red and heart speeding up. He leans his head again on the window, closing his eyes to settle it.

He didn't see it, but Sunoo was even more flustered, clearing his throat before turning his head to look ahead, a slight blush on his cheeks.

The older's phone buzzes as the other drifts into unconsciousness. He takes a glance at Ni-Ki before taking his phone from his pocket and unlocking it upon seeing it was a message from his best friend.

Won:
get married already🙄

Can you not? Smh

Won:
I mean it, talk to him

Won:
between practice and
staying in the same room
you'll have plenty of time and
opportunities 😠

I need to focus on the competition

Won:
stop making excuses!
I mean it! You have to talk
to him! I hate seeing you like this

Sunoo takes a glance at the Japanese boy who was peacefully sleeping. Fear and anxiousness took over his eyes making him lightly bite his bottom lip before looking back down at his phone.

I'll try. I'll think about it.

Won:
you're gonna do it or
I'll disown you!

I'm scared

On the other side of the bus, Jungwon sighs, his eyes softening before twisting his body to look at his friend who, indeed, had a look of sadness and fear making him look vulnerable. Somehow, Riki had changed him or rather unknowingly helped the older to finally express himself. Kim Sunoo would have never imagined looking so weak and heartbroken and sad--not since his mother left, that is--but here he was.

Won:
I know.

Sunoo flinches when he feels a weight on his shoulder, only now taking into account how much the bus was shaking due to the bumpy roads. He looks down, his heart skipping a beat when he saw the young dancer's innocent face. He looked around a little, seeing most people on the bus asleep until he caught eyes with Jungwon who had his eyes a little wide.

"What do I do?" He mouthed, panic and unsureness filling his expression

"Let him, roll with it," Jungwon mouths back before turning back in his seat.

Won:
take the opportunity,
think things through and
be sure what you want even though
i'm sure we both know what that
is

Won:
good luck hyung!

The older simply turned his phone off before looking back at the younger. He's cute, he noted. But he was also much more than that. He has a good heart, he's talented, he has that beautiful, boxy smile, eyes that made him feel lost, and so much more that he could list. He sighs. He's whipped and lovesick, he admitted, putting his head over the other's, allowing his drowsiness to overtake him.

"Realistically speaking, you guys should talk things out."

"Realistically speaking, you guys should let me stay in hiding in your room and never let me step foot into mine," Riki rolls his eyes, huffing in frustration as he plops himself on one of the two beds in the room--the one Sunghoon had chosen on the left side to be exact.

Jay sighs at the response, "You looked comfortable enough sleeping on his shoulder on the bus," he states.

The younger blushes though he tries his best to look composed, as composed as possible that is. Everyone had seen them together on the bus. While most were shocked Sunoo hadn't smashed his head on the window those close to the two smiled in what they would call victory. Of course, everything changed when they woke up and cleared their throats before standing up and following everyone out of the bus. As they walked to the hotel, they stayed 10 feet apart going back all the steps they had taken.

"You guys are the worst Hyungs ever," he mumbles as he continues to look at the white ceiling. "You guys should have thrown a rock to my head if that meant I would wake up and not embarrass myself! It's embarrassing enough that we kissed and he regretted it as soon as it happened!" He let out in exasperation, his arms thrashing everywhere and at some point even sitting up with a frown though the hurt in his eyes was deeply noticeable.

Jay pinches his nose, side glancing at Sunghoon who shrugged with a worried expression. "Riki-san," he calls out, "I mean it this time. You will talk to Kim Sunoo and figure everything out. You know that I'm not a fan of your infatuation towards him but I hate seeing you like this, we hate seeing you like this," he says, looking at Sunghoon before drifting his eyes back to the youngest. "If he really regrets it, then you need some closure and move on. You have to talk. Whether he likes you or not, whether he regrets it or not, whether you want to or not, communication is always the key. Misunderstandings tend to happen and now you're heartbroken because of it. You're going to talk to him," he explains determinedly.

Ni-Ki looks down at his lap after a while in defeat because he knew that the oldest was right. He knew that he couldn't keep doubts in his head and he knew that he wanted to know the truth. To know why Sunoo wanted to kiss him and to know whether he really regretted that moment.

At the end of the day, he knew Jay was right.

And so, he gave a firm nod to both his Hyungs after glancing between the two.

Communication was the only cure for his negative feelings.

A/N: I'm not sure how many chapters are left but there aren't many. I'm already working on multiple new stories which will come out as soon as this one is over. This isn't the best chapter so I'm sorry for that 😭😭